Paypal in Forum Post Works in Preview Not when Submited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal in Forum Post Works in Preview Not when Submited

I am attempting to use a paypal Dnat button in a single post, Just adding the preformated form from paypall wrapped in the html I need/

Html is allowed for this forum the Link works as it should when I preview it

Its after i submit I get an error that says
    "You did not select any posts to which the action you picked can be applied."

Here is another odd part

I can click on this as a unregistered user and it works I log in as a user and I get the above message

I simply can not figure this out

Is it not more secure to turn off html and then use the variables to generate your own paypal button?

[url=paypal link][img]paypal button[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
      Is it not more secure to turn off html and then use the variables to generate your own paypal button?

[url=paypal link][img]paypal button[/img][/url]
      I assume it would be, here is my delema

We are a Non Profit orginization, we need occasionaly to add a donate here button in specific forums, When this occurs I will be truning on HTML in that forum only (Yes I know )

So to have the ability to set a single button in the post is important to us. Right now I have a link to a basic HTML page with the Form for Paypal there, It would be far more streamline to have this ability in the post instead of linking to another page

One thing that is curious is why it works for non registerd members?

Comment

I need a solution to this problem as well.

A "PayPal button" is more than just a simple image + hyperlink.

It's actually an HTML form, with many hidden fields. The "button" is actually the SUBMIT field of the HTML form. (Hence, Floris' suggestion isn't very practical.)

Putting one of these PayPal forms into either a forum post or a calendar item used to work fine under 3.0.X. It fails now under 3.5.X

That is, it works fine in the PREVIEW, and for unregistered users. But it fails with the error message described by JohnLorenz in other cases.

I, too, need to be able to include a donation button in certain posts; or to permit folks to sign up and PAY for an event in the calendar.

Comment

Any input from the vBulletin Team on this issue? Please?

Comment

As far as I know it is just a html link with an image, combine these and it should work.

An alternative would be to create a plugin that generates this, and use the $variable inside the postbit. But that won't be practical.

Another way is to create a paypal bbcode button, where you can do something like [paypal]10[/paypal] to make a $10 donation button.

But please note that posts aren't made to be more then a msg area, not made to hold xhtml/css/php forms, etc.

This requires customization and vbulletin doesn't provide support for this.

Comment

I am pretty sure this requires enabling HTML in posts and calendar events and did so in vB 3.0.x too. Of course doing this will open your board to security risks. Doing this without enabling HTML will require modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

As far as I know it is just a html link with an image, combine these and it should work.
                Untrue.

As I said above, the PayPal-generated "buy it" button (or donation button, etc.) is actually a simple HTML form. There are HIDDEN fields to indicate a product number, description, price, etc., and a SUBMIT button represented by the image.

But please note that posts aren't made to be more then a msg area, not made to hold xhtml/css/php forms, etc.

This requires customization and vbulletin doesn't provide support for this.
                vBulletin DOES support HTML in posts, and has for years.

vBulletin has supported this particular usage for a long time, as indicated by my post and others.

There is nothing exotic or "customized" about it. It used to work; now it doesn't. It's simple, basic HTML.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  I am pretty sure this requires enabling HTML in posts and calendar events and did so in vB 3.0.x too. Of course doing this will open your board to security risks. Doing this without enabling HTML will require modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
                  I have been willing to enable HTML in the calendar when only I, the administrator, may create calendar items.

"Code modifications" are not at issue here.

This is simple HTML in a calendar item -- something that used to work, but which is now broken.

In fact, it STILL works -- as long as one is not logged in.

And it works from the PREVIEW screen.

Just not from the final posted message (or calendar item), IFF one happens to be logged in.

With all due respect, I really don't think this is a matter for vbulletin.org. That feels like a cop-out.

Comment

Cop-out, eh? I said this required HTML and I still believe that's right. I really don't know what you are arguing with me about, but okay.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Cop-out, eh? I said this required HTML and I still believe that's right. I really don't know what you are arguing with me about, but okay.
                      I'm not looking for an argument, Steve. I'm hoping for acknowledgment of the problem, and assistance with its solution.

Yes, it requires HTML.

HTML in posts is something that vBulletin allegedly supports, no?

This is something that for years used to be possible, and something that *still* works under certain circumstances (i.e., in preview, and when reading as a Guest).

Referring me over to vbulletin.org for a "custom hack" is what feels like a cop-out. Seems like this is well within the claimed (not to mention historic) functionality of the vBulletin product.

You disagree?

I'm NOT trying to embed an HTML form in a post *without* enabling HTML (as you suggest in your first response to this thread). HTML *is* properly enabled. It just doesn't work.

I don't see how what I'm attempting (and what I've done successfully for years) -- which is: to put a simple HTML form into a post or calendar entry, with HTML properly enabled -- falls into the category of "unsupported custom hack".

Best,

Bill
                      Last edited by Bill Thebert; Sat 13th Jan '07, 4:22am.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Thebert View Post
                        Referring me over to vbulletin.org for a "custom hack" is what feels like a cop-out.
                        What part of my post didn't you understand?
                        I thought it was pretty clear. I never said what you claim I said. It does seem to me you are just picking an argument for no good reason at all so I think I'll let you carry on with that by yourself. Good luck with that.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I never said what you claim I said.
                          Likewise, I'm not doing (or attempting) what you seem to be saying I'm attempting.

I am pretty sure this requires enabling HTML in posts and calendar events
                          As stated above, I have indeed already done this. HTML *is* enabled in calendar events.

Doing this without enabling HTML will require modifying the code.
                          I do not desire, nor am I attempting, to get this to work without enabling HTML (which surely *would* require some sort of unsupported code modification). I have not modified the vBulletin code in any way; nor do I wish to.

As clearly as I can state it:

HTML is enabled.

This particular HTML -- a simple form, using PayPal-generated code, which previously worked under vBulletin 3.0.X -- no longer works under vB 3.5.X, except under two circumstances:

Circumstance 1: Works fine in the preview screen, before finalizing the post.

Circumstance 2: Works fine if one is not logged in (i.e., is browsing the calendar or forum as a Guest).
                          Last edited by Bill Thebert; Sat 13th Jan '07, 12:54pm.

Comment

Bill - I'm having the same problem, it's definitely broken. Here's what I found:

The button (HTML form) WORKS if I'm not logged into VB.
                            The button WORKS if I'm logged in as a regular user.
                            The button DOESN'T WORK if I'm logged in as administrator.

It appears that if you're logged in as administrator, VB gets confused and thinks you're trying to use the file inlinemod.php (I assume because it sees the "form" tag).

I can't imagine it's anything BUT a bug in vBulletin. Did anyone help you find a solution?

The good news is that, at least in my case, my users should be able to use the form just fine, it's just I who would get an error.
                            Last edited by volarium; Fri 19th Jan '07, 9:31am.

Comment

Originally posted by volarium View Post
                              Did anyone help you find a solution?
                              Nope.

All I got was referred over to vbulletin.org, as follows:

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                              We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
                              I can't seem to communicate the following facts clearly:
                              • I am not modifying the vBulletin code, nor do I wish to.
                              • I wish only to use some simple HTML (not DHTML, XHTML, PHP, etc.) in a forum with HTML [allegedly] properly enabled in admincp.
                              I got this from Support Ticket #580048:
                              Originally posted by Kerry-Anne Peters
                              The shopping cart code is more complex than the donation or buy now code, and therefore is unable to be embedded into the calendar even with HTML turned on.

However, it does work successfully in posts where HTML is enabled for that forum provided that the code when copied does not inadvertently contain any additional (read: WYSIWYG) code with it.

In order to use it in the calendar, it will require modification to the code. You can ask at vBulletin.org to see if anyone can assist with this.
                              JelSoft's position seems to be that: a) no problem exists in HTML-enabled forums (despite our experiences and reports to the contrary), and b) an HTML form is "too complex" to work in an allegedly HTML-enabled calendar.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X