Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whelck
    replied
    Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply and help. I'll head on over and do some searching

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Well if you are storing your attachments in the database, they have size of the attachment stored to make sure data is maintained. If you store them outside the database, the file name is changes to attachmentid.attach, regardless of the actual file type. You also have to take into account upload limits in PHP and MySQL that could limit the size of the attachment.

I do know there are several download managers at vBulletin.org that might be able to do what you want.

Leave a comment:

• whelck
    replied
    Can you explain some of the security on the attachements? I'll look into plugins to see if something has been designed for this type of thing.

The reason I bring this up is I'm almost positive that these files will be downloaded by many people not apart of the board. I don't want that.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    This most likely will not work due to the security put into place on attachments. I would simply recommend uploading the files into a subdirectory on your site and linking to them for your members if you do not want to alter the attachment settings. You would have to use a plugin or something to control access to the file however.

Leave a comment:

• whelck
    started a topic Attachement question

Attachement question

First - I store attachements in the file system.

I have some larger files that I want to have as attachements. They're pretty big, so I don't want to edit the settings just to allow for these files to be uploaded. I was thinking I would upload a file of the same type, figure out where it's stored in the attachements, and then replace the uploaded file with my large file.

1) Will this work?
    2) If so, how would I go about finding what attachement I just uploaded?
    3) If not, is there another way to use the permissions in vbulletin to control a file that I've uploaded outside of vbulletin?

Thanks.
Working...
X