Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything similar to Ubb categories in vB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything similar to Ubb categories in vB?

G'day,

We're looking to move a site we currently run on ubb over to vb.

With ubb you can "GET" some params on the URL that allow you to only display certain categories (cats) to the users.

For example say i have 5 cats:

1: Spanking
    2: Laughing
    3: Audi
    4: BMW
    5: VW

Obviously cats 1 and 2 go together but i might not want to show cat 3 4 and 5 to people that come to the site through a certain link etc. So i can use ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=1,2

which would only show cat 1&2 for the entire visit to the site unless they click show all forums which redirects them to Cat=0 (show all cats).

So my question: does vB have anything similar?

I mean the feature is implemented very poorly in ubb
    as it would be much better to be able to group categories and give the "cat group" a "label" like "cars" where cars contains cats 3,4,5 etc so you don't end up with urls from hell to manage, also to then have different templates associated to each cat group and then and then.... anyhow... i digress.

for an example see

www.tyresmoke.net and see how the different marques link through into different categories.

Any and all help appreciated as we need to leave ubb behind.

vBulletin doesn't support such a feature by default.
    If you move certain forums into a category, you can choose to only show those on the forumhome though.

So if you have:

Category A
    -Forum1
    -Forum2
    Forum3
    Forum4

You can choose to only display the category A by using index.php?f=1 or similiar.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Thanks for your quick response. I just testing it out on www.cpusmoke.net (tyresmoke's geekery like sister) and its quite similar but it doesn't give users that feeling of a complete forum and as soon as they move back up the hierarchy the "penning in" is lost.

You said "by default"; do you know of a hack that can do what we need?

Comment

I don't know of such a hack, but I recommend you search or ask on www.vbulletin.org
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X