Restrict Avatars to URL only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restrict Avatars to URL only?

I would like to allow my users to show an avatar, however I would like to restrict it to only allowing them to enter an avatar from a URL, not upload one. I have a fairly large forum and don't really want to cover the hosting for all their avatars hehe

Is it possible to allow it only via URL so they host their own?

There's no function to do this.

As the URL option uploads the file to your server as well it doesn't make sense anyhow.
    You'd have to modify the code to allow users to link to an externally hosted avatar. For help with that, please search or ask on www.vbulletin.org
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Aah ok, I didn't realise that the URL also uploads to my site. Normally when you choose the URL option it just links from the URL it's already hosted at.

Comment

Originally posted by Noctavia
        I have a fairly large forum and don't really want to cover the hosting for all their avatars...
        There is an option in VB35 that will allow you to save locally, into a folder, your avatars/pictures.
        That should save you a lot of bandwidth because it's not stored anymore into the SQL database, it's into the client cache.

I believe is always better to have the pictures/files into your server.
        It greatly eliminates most hacking posibility, related to this area.
        Imagine, you have a link to a picture... but that linked picture contains some advanced injected process.
        Last edited by TECK; Sun 28 May '06, 11:32am.
        Floren Munteanu
        Axivo Inc.
        Axivo Searchlight - Turbocharge your web site

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X