Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

having the forums page in a forums folder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having the forums page in a forums folder...

ok im very new to all this and just learning the terminology but here goes.

my domain takes you straight to what is my forums.

id like it to take a member to a homepage, from that homepage have a forums link to take you to the forums page.

from what i gather i have my Vb installed in the root index. and from what ive read id like to keep it that way but have the setup as above.

do i just create a forums folder with a link to it on the home page? is this right and how do i do it?

thanks.

Normally you would created a forum directory within your web root. Then copy all of your forum files to that directory. Change your forum URL and cookie settings appropriately (the default cookie settings will always work):

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Forum URL

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      Normally you would created a forum directory within your web root. Then copy all of your forum files to that directory. Change your forum URL and cookie settings appropriately (the default cookie settings will always work):

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Forum URL

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options
      web root = home page??

Comment

For example:

http://www.vbulletin.com/

That is the root of this site. The web root is the corresponding directory on your server.

Comment

For example:

http://www.vbulletin.com/

That is the root of this site. The web root is the corresponding directory on your server.
          ok thats what i was thinking.

so really i can go either way, have a root, home page, with a link to my forums page.

or i can just have my forums page as my root.

Comment

Either way works. Just upload the web pages to the appropriate directories to do what you want.

Comment

Either way works. Just upload the web pages to the appropriate directories to do what you want.
              ok i created a forums folder in my web root. now i copy all the files in my web root to my newly created folder right?

then i can edit my web root to operate as a main page? and will the link to the forums folder be inserted as a file in the web root directory?

sorry for the step by step questions here.

Comment

Yes... to move your forums from the web root to a "forum" directory, you need to create the directory within the web root and copy the forum files into it. Then you can delete the files from the web root and upload your own homepage.

Comment

Yes... to move your forums from the web root to a "forum" directory, you need to create the directory within the web root and copy the forum files into it. Then you can delete the files from the web root and upload your own homepage.
                  well i thought i did something right. where is the web root located?

is it in my public_html?

Comment

the web root is the top-level directory on your website... for instance:

www.mysite.com/ would be the root directory of the Mysite.com website, while www.mysite.com/myfolder/ would not be root directory.
                    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/image...avbit-home.png Eclipse Records - independent record company focused on active rock & alternative metal music
                    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/image...avbit-home.png Streetcult Street Team Marketing - grassroots marketing, promotion, consulting, & digital distribution

Comment

Originally posted by Antivirus
                      the web root is the top-level directory on your website... for instance:

www.mysite.com/ would be the root directory of the Mysite.com website, while www.mysite.com/myfolder/ would not be root directory.
                      ok thanks, now i believe im making progress.

i went to cpanel, i opened the icon 'file manager'. then i created a folder called forums. i then copied all the files in the public_html directory to the forum folder. is this correct?

now i need type in www.mysite.net/forum in the url for my 'forum' page right?

Comment

Originally posted by patrickstar
                        ok thanks, now i believe im making progress.

i went to cpanel, i opened the icon 'file manager'. then i created a folder called forums. i then copied all the files in the public_html directory to the forum folder. is this correct?

now i need type in www.mysite.net/forum in the url for my 'forum' page right?
                        i got it. so far, thanks.

Comment

ok im about to delete all files under the public_html folder, that is the webroot right? i wanna make sure before i do this. i have all the files copied to the Forums folder and everything appears to be working right.

when i type in www.mysite.net/index.php it takes me to my newly created 'Forums' page.

do i delete all the files in the public_html folder?

Comment

Yes, once the move is complete, you can delete the old forum files from the web root.

Comment

Yes, once the move is complete, you can delete the old forum files from the web root.
                              well im still not clear on what exactly is forum files.

its not all the files under public_html right?

inside my public_html folder i have about 10 folders and 38 files approx. which ones are forum files and do all the folders stay in public_html?

i moved some files to my forum folder, not quite sure if i moved all the ones i need to move. it appears to be working right.

and now that i moved some files to the forums folder, my home page is just a list of directoris when you pull it up, is that normal?

Comment

Working...
                              X