Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *NIX Server Load Limit

I am battling excessive CPU usage, and have a few questions:

1. Editing the *NIX Server Load Limit value, the lower the number, the more poeple turned away?

2. Simultaneous Sessions Limit- What is an acceptable number for this?

Any help would be great!

3. Is there a way to have a custum server busy page?
    AK Steel

1. Yes, load 1 = cpu @ 100%, above 2 ppl could experience a bit of lag, after 4 the server is doing its best to keep up and above 5 i recommend to find the bottleneck. If your server usually dies when it hits 6, I recommend 5.

2. Depends on the max value you can have. If your config is set to 100 (default I think) I recommend to set this value to 100 too.

3. Yes, it's a phrase, you could edit the phrase that says they are turned away. On my sites I point them to our vbchat channel.

Comment

Becasue I set it to 6 and many people were being turned away, I wasn't sure if I was going the wrong way with it!
      AK Steel

Comment

server loads should be low. My own forum is around 4 when there are over 500 guests visiting, but usually it is around 1 or perhaps 2.

Comment

There are many posts on this issue, and I am still a bit baffled. Are we talking dedicated or shared servers with the figures you mention?

We have a dedicated 3G ProLiant 3Ghz with 1Gb RAM running Apache 2.0.52, with only one (large) web site. With this setting set to 4 it kicks users off after about 150 users online. If I set it to 6 then %CPU in 'top' can go up to ~20. That's not too excessive is it? I don't know what the %CPU is when we are running up to 400 users online plus the rest of the site activity.

The only time I've seen %CPU go high is when SpamAssassin kicks in, and it's only for a short while.

What would you consider a high %CPU in 'top'?

Bob

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X