Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't login after upgrade from 3.0.7 - 3.5.4

I ran install script with no errors.

Now I can login to main forum or admincp.

I ran tools, cleared cache, cleared cookies, closed browsers, reopened browser.

Still can't login.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Larry Eitel - Administrator & Webmaster
    NoBlood.org
    Transfusion Alternatives and Blood Management

Install script? You are supposed to run upgrade.php, not install. What did you do exactly?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Did you run the install or upgrade script?
      What error message are you receiving when trying to log in?
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

I ran upgrade script.

The error is that I cannot login. Doesn't like my username and password.

At this point I loaded a fresh 3.5.4 into a new dir. Pointed to 'upgraded' db. I can see the fresh load but can't login (well at this point I have to wait 15 minutes). Is there somewhere in db I reset that wait?
        NoBlood.org

Comment

I also changed style to default in setting table.
          NoBlood.org

Comment

If you upgraded correctly then this wouldn't happen. So this means that you did not upgrade correctly.

The first thing I recommend is to reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I am running this mirror on my local pc. Had it running before upgrade. I am experienced with installing locally.

I just copied distribution files over existing files. Reran admincp login and again.. it doesn't accept my username and password. I verified in the user db my record still exists.

One thing that occurs to me is that in this instance, I created a new db and imported directly via mysql at dos prompt. They are both utf-8.
              NoBlood.org

Comment

Ad I said this wouldn't happen if the upgrade went well.

Not sure what else to recommend. Do you still have a backup of the 3.0.7 database?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

yes, i will repeat steps. I have sql of live data. I presume there isn't an issue with possible differences in mysql db configurations. I will first verify, again, that i have a working mirror of live site working on my local PC. Then will run upgrade. Thanks for the input.
                  NoBlood.org

Comment

Yes, there can be problems using a backup from one version of MySQL and restoring it to another version. What are the *exact* versions?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Server: MySQL 4.1.18-standard
                      Local: MySQL - 4.1.18-nt

The strange this is that I created my current local mirror only about a month ago. I don't recall doing anything different. Used PhpMyAdmin to export zip'd sql dump.

Anyway, I dropped existing 3.0.7 db and recreated then ran source file.sql. I can't login. I also ran fixlogin.php and tried also to login to admincp without success as well.
                      NoBlood.org

Comment

Those are essentially the same versions.

How are you making the backup and restoring it? The only consistently reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

Backup:
                        http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Restore:
                        http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok, followed directions to backup. Downloaded the file.
                          When i ran mysql to restore, error, mysql has gone away. I restarted mysql and retried. failed.
                          I then used another mysql tool and was able to successfully import all.
                          I then tried to login, failed. Not accepting username or password. Also tried fixlogin.php again.

I have been on this for about 5 hours. I have not had a problem before. Now something, probably very simple, it tripping me up.

Is there something with regard to mysql password issue? Some sort of hotfix to change the way mysql deciphers passwords?
                          NoBlood.org

Comment

It's not clear what you did. Which version of the database was this and which version vB files do you have installed?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

just doing what i always do before starting substantial upgrade.... first create a current mirror of live site. then experiment on that. it was JUST WORKING before i started this.
                              I'll try again tomorrow.
                              NoBlood.org

Comment