X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting encoding from window-1256 to UTF-8

converting encoding from window-1256 to UTF-8

I think future is for UTF-8

I know I'll have some problems, do you have any hints about how to do that? and what about converting scripts? can I do this from MySQL without a script? or I have to write my own script?

Thanks in advance
    Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

If you are using MySQL 4.1+ you should be able to do this with a big bunch of queries, hopefully

I'll ask Mike.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I use MySQL 4.0.x
      Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

Any response!!

Comment

With MySQL 4.0 you'll need to write a script to query every piece of data and convert it using iconv in PHP.

MySQL 4.1.0+ is the easier option.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

But what is iconv? is it a built-in php module?

Thank you

Comment

Yes PHP provides iconv for converting between character sets http://uk.php.net/iconv
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Thanks I'll test that and return with the results for others

Regards

Milad

Comment

I had written very good script (using iconv) that convert every possible windows-1256 encoded text, and it worked very good.
                  Now I have a problem, not in my phrases or any thing, but when I post a new thread, some characters get changed, for example 'ح' heh becomes 'ت' teh
                  and many other characters get changed when I post using the quick reply (AJAX) function.
                  Of course I changed the Language Code into 'ar' and HTML Character Set into utf-8.
                  and this is on test forum (localhost).
                  Any help?
                  Thanks in advance.

Comment

No iconv is installed on my hosting service
                    Can I use php to compile the iconv extension? and how?

Comment

Originally posted by miladkk View Post
                      I had written very good script (using iconv) that convert every possible windows-1256 encoded text, and it worked very good.
                      Now I have a problem, not in my phrases or any thing, but when I post a new thread, some characters get changed, for example 'ح' heh becomes 'ت' teh
                      and many other characters get changed when I post using the quick reply (AJAX) function.
                      Of course I changed the Language Code into 'ar' and HTML Character Set into utf-8.
                      and this is on test forum (localhost).
                      Any help?
                      Thanks in advance.
                      This problem is solved :
                      Admin->Vbulletin Options->censorship->remove characters from front of this (Blank ASCII Character Stripper) and disable censorship

now.. can you share this script that change sql encoding from windows-1256 to UTF-8 .. I have sql 4.1.19 and imediately need this ..
                      special thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar View Post
                        If you are using MySQL 4.1+ you should be able to do this with a big bunch of queries, hopefully

I'll ask Mike.
                        I have 4.1.19 .. what I hav to do for changing sql encoding from 1256 to utf-8 ?

Comment

Originally posted by asasi View Post
                          This problem is solved :
                          Admin->Vbulletin Options->censorship->remove characters from front of this (Blank ASCII Character Stripper) and disable censorship

now.. can you share this script that change sql encoding from windows-1256 to UTF-8 .. I have sql 4.1.19 and imediately need this ..
                          special thanks
                          Yes I solved it since a lot of time and publish this in some post here

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118308

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X