Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone walk me through step by step?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone walk me through step by step?

Hello,

I have made the leep to transfer hosts duel to lack of help and support by my current one but lets not get into that. I would appreciate it if someone could walk me step by step on how to backup everything I will need to transfer hosts later tonight I'm currently waiting for the email back from them I already placed the order.

Both hosts are using Cpanel X (My current & the one im transfering to)

So far I have closed the forums and downloaded all the vB files via FTP to a folder I named backup on my computer. That is right to do right?

Next I need help how to make a backup through phpMyAdmin and steps on how to re-upload it when the new host is availiable to transfer to.

Thanks and if you can post anything that I may be forgeting to do that would be great .

If your hosts supports SSH you can do
    Backup
    Restore

If not you can do it through phpmyadmin
    Backup
    Restore

Comment

Thank you harmor. Also one quick question. It is right to download ALL the files in my forums and re-upload all of those when I switch to the new host right? All I will have to edit is the config file correct? Or is this totally wrong. I've never done a host to host transfer before so I could use any help or tips.

Comment

I just also have another question I am in the phpmyadmin and on the step that says
        In the second area, called SQL Options, make sure you have the follwing boxes checked:

Structure
        Add 'drop table'
        Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
        Enclose table and field names with backquotes
        Data
        It doesnt specify if I should check all the data fields seeing there are
        Data:
        Complete inserts
        Extended inserts
        Use delayed inserts
        Use ignore inserts
        Use hexadecimal for binary fields

Comment

moving all your files is the right thing to do but I think there's something you have to do with config.php

Comment

The built-in backup feature in vBulletin as well as the MySQLAdmin backup command may not provide you with a complete backup. Most servers are set to stop executing scripts after 5 minutes (300 seconds).

You can try making a backup with MySQLAdmin and check with a text editor like UltraEdit or WordPad (included in Windows) to see that the last couple of lines of your backup file are:

Code:
             UNLOCK TABLES;
             /*!40000 ALTER TABLE word ENABLE KEYS */;
            You may actually be able to do a full site backup (including databases) right from within cPanel. I'd look for a site backup button/feature.

If you want a bulletproof backup of your MySQL database and you did not get a complete backup with the other methods mentioned, check out MySQLDumper.

Comment

Working...
            X