Remember me? Forgets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember me? Forgets

We just upgraded to 3.5.4 from 2.x and are having issues with logins. One issue is that the remember me checkbox doesn't appear to be working. When this box is checked upon a login, the following cookie entries are made:

bbuserid
    www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/
    bbpassword
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would expect these entries to persist once logged out since the remember me box was active. However, these entries are being deleted so the login information is not available upon a revisit to the forum.

Is this a bug or what is causing the remember me function to not work?

Another thing I have noticed is that the login serial number is missing from the URL in version 3. I assume this is intentional?

thanks for your reply...

Don't logout. Logging out deletes the cookies.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The entire cookie is not deleted when you log out, so that statement is misleading. The following remains.

bblastvisit
      bblastactivity

Regarding the remember me checkbox:
      I guess that I expected the remember me option to work like it does for the members login "remember my password" checkbox. When you log out of the members area, the next time you come back your username and password are auto populated for you. Perhaps you should add an option for this behavior? thanks

Comment

Yes, the complete cookie is not deleted. I guess I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

My point is -- if you are not deleting the entire cookie, because you want to remember certain information for the next visit, then why not keep the username and password information too (regardless of whether or not the user logged out). This way, you don't have to re-enter that information to log back in. Not a big deal, but it would be a nice "option".

Comment

Iff you don't logout, you don't have to login again. If you do logout then what would be the purpose of what you suggest? What you are proposing is not allowing anyone to log out at all since any time they go back they are automatically logged in - even right after logging out. Logging out has to have some meaning.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'm not suggesting the you be auto logged back in when you re-visit, only that your information is populated in the username and password. You would still have to click the login button, you just wouldn't have to type anything - exactly how it works for the member login.

Comment

Then post a suggestion in the 3.5 Sugggestions forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Logging out is also a security purpose...populating the username and password field after logging out does not quite fulfill this purpose.

Comment

good point.. thanks for your replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      Don't logout. Logging out deletes the cookies.
                      Adding to this, regarding the site to which tomcat refers.... even if you don't log out on some computers, you are not logged in when you arrive on another day. ....and that is with using the remember me checkbox.

What is causing that?

Users who had been successfully using the 2.x version are not reporting login issues with this newest 3.x version.

Comment

Possibly a bad cookie issue, vBulletin 2 and vBulletin 3/3.5 have some cookie conflict issues. Ask your users to clear their cookies and restart their computersa.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                          Possibly a bad cookie issue, vBulletin 2 and vBulletin 3/3.5 have some cookie conflict issues. Ask your users to clear their cookies and restart their computersa.
                          First question..... would you be more specific than, have some cookie conflict issues? What does that mean in greater detail?

Also, you mean just clear the vBulletin cookies, or their entire inventory of cookies from everywhere?

Comment

Its more than possible if its IE that their cookie index has gone borked, or in firefox gone bad all together, clearing the cookies for your entire site, or all cookies would be recoemdned.

Comment

Working...
                            X