migrating from 3.0.x to 3.5.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migrating from 3.0.x to 3.5.x

Our current VB system is 3.0.x and we are trying to upgrade to 3.5.4 to fix all the security flaws and bugs found with the previous versions. The previous webmaster for the site had installed numerous addon or hacks to the site like a gallery, games, trader ratings, plus more. When upgrading to the new release, I assume all of these will become non-functional with the current code, am I correct?

Anything else I need to be aware of when upgrading?

What is the best route to take to do the upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

Prepare the upgrade, is my best tip.

Make a backup for archive, so when the upgrade fails you have the old files and the old database, and are able to revert to a version that used to work.

Check out vBulletin.org and find the 3.0 hacks and addons, see if they have been upgraded to 3.5 and even better, as a 3.5 plugin / product - which will make future upgrades a lot easier.

Install a test setup on your server. Make a new dir, put the backup files in there and restore the database to a temporary new database. Update the config.php to point to this database. Then do a test upgrade and see which errors or issues you run into. This will give you an experience on how it will go with the live board.

The live upgrade will be a lot easier now. Just backup once more, test the backup, upgrade the forum, re-apply the customizations but with updated code/plugins/etc and open your forum again with a brand new 3.5.4

Comment

I seem to be running to a problem with doing a mysql dump of our current database. The current database is huge, we have about 20,000 members and close to 900,000 posts, and our postindex table size is close to 12,000,000. I can do a successfull mysqldump, but upon trying to insert the info into a database, it always gets hung up on the postindex table anywhere around the 3,500,000 to 6,000,000 mark.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Comment

Originally posted by bradical
        I seem to be running to a problem with doing a mysql dump of our current database. The current database is huge, we have about 20,000 members and close to 900,000 posts, and our postindex table size is close to 12,000,000. I can do a successfull mysqldump, but upon trying to insert the info into a database, it always gets hung up on the postindex table anywhere around the 3,500,000 to 6,000,000 mark.

Any ideas what could cause this?
        this could be due to unoptimised server hardware and/or configuration settings... best to head over to server config forum and post a new thread with info asked at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70117

tweaking server settings MAY help mysql to process your mysql tasks faster

do you still have access to old database to redo mysqldump backups again ?
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Working...
        X