how do I make my own skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I make my own skin

I want to make my own skin for my vbulletin. I tried to find some tutorials through google, but so far no luck. Anyone got some for me so I can start making my own skin?

AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Add New Style > Go Crazy

There is no real tutorial as it'd be hard if not impossible to do. All coders don't code the exact same way, and how you do things in vB may be differnt than how someone else does it. If you know some html and CSS dive in and have at it

Comment

Thanks, will take a look at that. You can buy a veri of skins on the internet and some even use different setups like rounded cornors and stuff.. isnt there a main page which you can edit in like dreamweaver?

Comment

Main forum page = forumhome
        Post pages = postbit or postbit_legacy
        Thread pages = threadview
        Header of all pages = header
        Footer of all pages = footer
        Navigation bar for, well... navigation = navbar

Try amending those templates, and the style CSS and see how you get on.
        John

Comment

thanks musicman!

Comment

Use dreamweaver to design interface?

I had an idea: What about using Dreamweaver to design the interface, say for forumhome, and then take the generated code and plug in the $postbit and vbphrases and other bits of dynamic content. Seems like it should work, no?

Comment

I don't see how...

Comment

Well maybe my example was a bit too ambition.

Let me try again... What about using Dreamweaver to layout a given template and then take the generated HTML and edit in the vB variables and functions? I'd love to get away from hand coding the HTML... Maybe I should give up resisting it and code it, but is seems like it makes as much sense as writeing postscript (printer page definition language) by hand.

Comment

I get a kick out of manually designing a layout than having it self-generate with a few clicks. Many coders don't necessarily like doing the HTML manually because it takes up much of their time. There are some who feel it's completely pointless. To each his/her own I guess.

For myself, however, there's much more involved than just slapping line bits and calling it a design. A lot of patience, creativity and heart goes into each design to make it so. There's so much to be inspired from other works.

It's much like music in a way. The coders are the lyricists whereas the HTML designers are the music that draws the soul. They both go hand-in-hand.

Comment

Originally posted by bchertov
                    Well maybe my example was a bit too ambition.

Let me try again... What about using Dreamweaver to layout a given template and then take the generated HTML and edit in the vB variables and functions? I'd love to get away from hand coding the HTML... Maybe I should give up resisting it and code it, but is seems like it makes as much sense as writeing postscript (printer page definition language) by hand.
                    HTML by hand is a good thing

You can use dreamweaver to design things and add the vB side of things, but be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                      You can use dreamweaver to design things and add the vB side of things, but be careful.
                      Is there a particular pitfall/concern that elicited this warning?

Comment

You'd have to design the entire template from scratch, then re-add the vBulletin info by hand, since dreamweaver is bad with vBulletni varibles etc.

Plus, working with htlm by hand only increases your knowleged of how it works and improves you ability to work with it more

Comment

I can definitely see that working with the templates would improve by HTML skills, but I'm more interested in making some fast progress on redesigning the interface.

I'm thinking I need to do an overhaul on the vB interface, not just tweaking the colors or adding some borders. Its too complicated for my non techie userbase.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X