Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i add my "Forum Rules" to the FAQ

Hi :

I think forum rules are important so i want to have them well visible.

Now, i tend to edit forum rules every now and then and do not want to go through the pain of having to maintain two copies of them and i hate the possibility of having two different versions that differ.

Is there a way i can just insert my FAQ section (not a duplicate, i cant to call the FAQ section itself every time a user registers) that contains the rules in the Forum Rules that are shown when signing up ? (Ideally this "Forum Rules" would be a parent FAQ category with child categories just like the other standard FAQ categories).

(Or the other way round)

Thanks
    Vote for these issues:

Admin CP -> FAQ -> Add New FAQ Item
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Admin CP -> FAQ -> Add New FAQ Item
      You did not read my question carefully. I do not want to duplicate the rules on a FAQ.

Have a re-read and maybe you can help me.
      Vote for these issues:

Comment

If you want a custom page, it will require custom coding which we cannot provide support for. Please seek help at vBulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by malmazan
          You did not read my question carefully. I do not want to duplicate the rules on a FAQ.

Have a re-read and maybe you can help me.
          I did read it.

(Ideally this "Forum Rules" would be a parent FAQ category with child categories just like the other standard FAQ categories)
          If you don't want to use the FAQ Manager then why did you post this? No matter. My guess is that Zach is right and you will need to custom code whatever it is you are trying to do.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

IPB seems to have a specific Rules section that's well visible.

Some vB forums manually add a link on the footer or somewhere.

This very forum ends up using an announcement for the rules with different content from the rules shown when registering. Surely you would like new users to be able to read the rules ? It has taken me weeks to accidentally bump into this forum's detailed rules.

I guess i will just add a link on the register rules to the detailed rules, though most people will not click on them.

I bought vB as one of the most powerful pieces of forum software, yet it seems uncapable of handling basic needs such as that.
            Vote for these issues:

Comment

If you really need a rules page you can write a very very basic simple script to do so. There are also addons to do this at vBulletin.org.

Comment

I'm still not sure what you want. You can already do this quite easily with the FAQ Manager as I have pointed out. In fact I have done this on my own forums and have the direct link to the Forum Rules in my sig.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Here's a simple Forum Rules add-on which gives you a separate Forum Rules page which you can easily add to.

Comment

I suspect what malmazan wants to do is exactly the same as me.

You can edit the phrase "forum_rules_description" to changethe rules when people logon.

But that is the only time people can see this, so of course they deny knowledge of the rules months after signup and there is nothing to refer them to.

What is needed is some way of displaying this phrase within the FAQ, but is there a way of displaying phrases in there short of actually taking a copy of the text and having to maintain both?

Comment

No, the only options you have are to duplicate the text, or to modify the code to achieve this.
                      Best Regards
                      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X