Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

upgrading 3.0.9 -> 3.5.4, not straight forward, failed, data-lost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading 3.0.9 -> 3.5.4, not straight forward, failed, data-lost!

Hello there its my 1st post here,

Well, i dunno where to beging with, first question why upgrading from such 3.0.9 to 3.5.4 has to go through all versions in-between? even the beta! and RC!

sorry but its really non-sense; developers have no time to make scripts to upgrade from 3.x to 3.5.4 at once? or did i do it wrongly?!

I admit my mistakes by not making a backup of the DB, and not stopping when the upgrading process failed!

How it happened?
    I'm not sure of what went through the upgrading but it was something like this>>
    3.0.9 to 3.0.10 , 11, 13
    then 3.5.0beta, failed at 2nd? step.. i clicked on "refresh" and it continued, till 3.5.x then failed, after that, the forum was inaccessible, so i chose to do the upgrade again by running upgrade.php
    while it suppose to start where it failed just before 3.5.4 it went back to 3.0.13
    i found a way to skip steps where it goes south by changing the number after step=2 to step=3,,, "my mistake i know"

Now the forum shows version 3.5.4 and all the "threads/forums" etc.. are lost! only "Main" forum appears there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question, is there a way to retrieve them? or should i clean up everything and start a fresh installed forum?

Your biggest mistake was not backign up, and not coming to us when you ran into an error, you can't just start running upgrade steps without warning.

And yes, the way the upgrade script works it to upgrade you to each version, its for safety.

Not sure what we can do to be honest :/

Comment

Upgraded a large (500K+ posts) board from 3.03 to 3.53 a couple of weeks back with no probs.

The upgrade scripts work like a charm ... and the incremental way it works is the right way to do it ... VB got the upgrade part spot on

Are you on a shared database server?

If so, you may be able to obtain a backup of the database from your host ... expect to spend much time convincing them to even bother though ... cost could be several hundred dollars, especially if it requires them restoring from a tape backup.

Another alternative is to back up what you have in a couple of safe places, and then send off a copy of it to someone who specializes in vbulletin (message board) database restorations ... do some googling around; think off-shore ... some excellent talent who can likely get the job done and won't charge you a fortune.

Ron

Comment

Upgraded from 3.0.7 to 3.5.3 last week with no problems at all, we however made sure we had a backup of both the Forum files and we had backups of the DB each day running up to the day we did the upgrade, so we could roll back within ten minutes quite easily if we had problems.

You cannot really blame VB for your woes if you did not take a backup.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X