• Show
Clear All

• Letters not showing up as they are suppose to show

First lemme list my config of my server

Apache 2.0.55
    PHP 5.0.5
    MySQL 4.1.18-r30
    English site

i have setup a brand new server. The problem is that if i submit a post or create a forum section with characters (like ä for example), it will turn into question marks "?". Let say i create a forum section named Träumend. After i created it will change to Tr?umend. I try different browsers and diff comps and still shows up like that So then i use phpmyadmin and find the field that has Tr?umend. I found it and i manually change it toTräumend. After i save the changes, it shows up fine in the database, but when i go back to the forums, it shows up as Träumend. So i think it has to do with apache and php and mysql. I gotta feeling i didnt setup the right config files maybe?

So i have no idea whats goin on and im tryin to fix this asap, so i wondering if anyone know how to fix this. Thanks!!!

UPDATE: Apparently only swedish characters dunt work, others do (like japanese, arabic, etc). Still need resolution
    Last edited by XtAzY; Wed 22 Feb '06, 5:15pm.

oh i am using apache 2.0.55, mysql 4.1.16 and php 5.1.1
    Last edited by XtAzY; Mon 20 Feb '06, 10:28am.

Comment

Are you using a different language pack?
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

nope im using the same language pack... all i did is downloaded the database from my old server and dumped it into the new server, and transfered all the files to the new one. I didnt mess with any vbsettings upon migration. Although im not sure if the php.ini, my.cnf and apache are configured similiar across the two servers

Like i have this forum name named: Träumend
        When i check the database, it looks fine. But when i go to my forum, the name shows up like this:Träumend
        Last edited by XtAzY; Mon 20 Feb '06, 12:18pm.

Comment

What's the URL to a page with an exampe of this?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

well i turned my forums off but i'll post a screenshot

its suppose to be Träumend not Träumend....

if i post Träumend in any thread the "ä" will turn into "?"

Comment

Have you tried just editing the forum name?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

yes i did.... it will just turn into Tr?umend

i gotta feelin its something to do with utf8?...

Comment

What is the 'HTML Character Set' setting in your language settings?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

It is ISO-8859-1

Comment

What about your browser settings? This is why I wanted to be able to see this directly myself.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

should i setup a admin account for u to see the forum?

Comment

the only time it will show correcty is if i change the encodin on my browser to Unicode (UTF-8)....

but the thing that puzzle me is why my old server works perfectly fine while the new server does not. I still have a feeling that i misconfigured my server rather than the forum itself

Comment

i just upgraded to v3.5.4 and i still have that same error... but i do know the problem is not from the forum.... its gotta be the way i configured my server because if my old host works and the servers here at vb.com works, then its gotta be my config errors.... im just wondering if someone mind and take a look and see if i configure it correctly...

Comment

updated first post

ok so the only types of characters that not working correctly are the swedish characters (both when submiting posts and viewing swedish characters). Japanese, arabic, and all other language works and displays fine.

My mysql collation for my database is always set at latin1_swedish_ci

can anyone advise me on how to fix this?

Comment