Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Adding Conditional Area To Header In Relation To Templates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Adding Conditional Area To Header In Relation To Templates?

Hi, I'm a bit of newb to vB and not a coder of any sort (other than the odd basic hack) - I want to add some custom code to the overall header of the site. Basically, when the header appears on forum pages with content (index, forum and thread) I want one piece of code. When its an admin or non-content page like Private Messages, other code is displayed.

Can I do it by template? So for instance, if the page is displaying any of these templages it will give me one lot of code:

SHOWTHREAD
    FORUMHOME
    FORUMDISPLAY

And when anything else is being shown it gives me the other code. I don't know the syntax to achieve this beyond the basic - can anyone help me or confirm if my thinking it doing this is efficent and correct.

Code:
    <if condition="*SHOWTHREAD - FORUMHOME - 
    FORUMDISPLAY Templates in use*">

Custom HTML For main content pages

<else />

Custom HTML for all other pages

</if>
    Also - are those the three I need for achieving my aim - I've just converted from PHPBB where I did this by directly editing the themes .tpl files which were: index_body.tpl, viewforum_body.tpl and viewtopic_body.tpl.

And if you guessing, this is to stay within the AdSense TOS

If you are looking to show ads from AdSense only on specific pages, you simply need to make use of the THIS_SCRIPT variable that is set within each PHP file.

For example, THIS_SCRIPT in index.php is defined as index. So that is how you would use a condition to compare the pages.

So if you want to limit the showing of the ads to just the forumhome (i.e. index.php), then you would use:

Code:
    <if condition="THIS_SCRIPT == index">

AdSense Code Here

<else />

&nbsp;

</if>
    Now, you can extend this to work with other pages as well, it is just a matter of pulling the THIS_SCRIPT variable from the PHP file in question.

So to pull of what you are looking to do with the 3 above areas, you simply need to use:

Code:
    <if condition="THIS_SCRIPT == index OR THIS_SCRIPT == forumdisplay OR THIS_SCRIPT == showthread">

AdSense Code Here

<else />

&nbsp;

</if>
    Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by KingSpade
      Hope that helps a bit.
      If by helps a bit you actually means solves the problem in one fell swoop, then yes, that helped a bit.

Many thanks, if I could rep you, I would.

Comment

heh, no problem , glad it helped

Comment

using this code how do i limit ads to a few forums? like if i want forum 1, 2 and 3 to show ads how should that code look? thanks for the help.

<if condition="THIS_SCRIPT == index OR THIS_SCRIPT == forumdisplay OR THIS_SCRIPT == showthread">

AdSense Code Here

<else />

&nbsp;

</if>

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X