Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from 3.0.12

Several questions here.

Can I retain the history(post/post counts profiles members) if I up grade to 3.5.3

Is there a way to install 3.5.3 on my server and put in all my hacks with out anyone seeing it first and if so how?

I am currently switching servers and would like to install the 3.5with all the hacks like my 3.0.12 version. is there a quick way or will I have to start all over?

Is there a list of stuff that works with both the 3.5 and the 3.0.12?

I would really like to upgrade but wonder how much work it or how long it would take to make a switch.
    of there is a link to all these answers that would work too. thanks for any and all help.

1. Create a backup using SHH if possible or try other method and test your backup behind htaccess.
    2. Upload and place your vb3.5.3 behind htaccess and play with it, test hacks and add your template modification and see if you want to upgrade or wait till all your hacks have been ported to vb 3.5.3.
    3. All your forum will work with your catagories, forums, threads, post & your members will be intact.
    4. List all your hacks on a piece of paper, then visit www.vbulletin.org and find which of your hacks have been ported to version vB 3.5.3.
    5. List of what stuff?
    6. Your stlye/skin and you would need to redo any default template modification to make sure they work for vB 3.5.3, I myself had to redo 200+ templates cause I heavily modified them.

Backup Info
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...54&postcount=2

backup tools if you do not have SHH access from your host.
    http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump
    http://www.mysqldumper.de/en/index.php
    I have used mysqldumper a few hours AGO to test if it works, it does a great job.
    Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Tue 7th Feb '06, 11:03pm. Reason: Typo again?

Comment

When I said list of stuff I meant hacks that work with both 3.5 and 3.0.

Is there a place or tutorial I can go that explains how to use htaccess? I have never done it that way before.

What files actually contain the history, such as post etc.?

I'm sorry to be a pain I'm still new at this and trying to learn it. Thanks for the patience.

Comment

Comprehensive guide to .htaccess

.htaccess guide

.htaccess Tutorial - part 3
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I decided to switch servers and have recreated my Vbulletin with 3.5 instead of 3.0. I went and installed mysqldumper. My question is I only want to restore the thread history and membership, What primary tables should I be concerned with I tried doing a complete change over but there was conflicts with some of the data bases. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

You can't do it that way. The way to do this is to use Impex to import the data from the 3.0 database into your 3.5 forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm new to some of this stuff, such as the Impex, so Just to be sure I need to install Impex on both the 3.5 and 3.0 and make a back up with the 3.0 to transfer it to the 3.5 with out having to re-alter templates or other data correct? In essence allow me to load all my history membership etc to an upgraded board that has new or different options?

Comment

No, you only install Impex on the 3.5 forum. Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/i...rsion=30501500

Note: This will change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ive been able to install Impex and mysqldump. I've installed the impex on the 3.5 version only.

I was able to transfer my db to a test db on the same server since I could not get Impex to see my old server. (could not determine address)I got it to see the db on the same server and was able to get all the files to transfer over (with the exception of forums).

I wasn't worried about forums since I had already recreated that by litterally cut and pasting from the old board earlier in the building process of 3.5.

My problem is that I went and rebuilt the threads and post,ran the cleaner.php and I'm still not seeing any old post history or threads. The members have been transfered over, but the names are listed then the graph with their avatar is listed below it.

When importing everything seems to to be importing with no problem. In the instructions it stes about rebuilding the threads and running the cleaner, but not much else. Thanks

edit: Nevermind the information on the memberslist. That was a hack that I placed code wrong in(awards hack). The membership info is comming up, but still no actual posts or threads history.
                  Last edited by cloyal; Fri 24th Feb '06, 7:53am.

Comment

You need to import the forums as well. Otherwise vB doesn't know where to place these threads and posts.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok I tried clearing out the DB as well as loading over it or reloading. I did clear out the forums I had listed and went and even save it in that capacity. I tried reloading the forums DB by itself, and backed it up seperately, to avoid coruption if possible, that or reduce the chance of it in transmission. Through the import everything works fine except for forums which gives me this error.
                      ImpEx Database errormysql error: Invalid SQL:
                      INSERT INTO forum
                      (
                      styleid, title, options,
                      displayorder, parentid, importforumid,
                      importcategoryid, description, replycount,
                      lastpost, lastposter, lastthread,
                      lastthreadid, lasticonid, threadcount,
                      daysprune, newpostemail, newthreademail,
                      parentlist, password, link, childlist,
                      title_clean, description_clean
                      )
                      VALUES
                      (
                      '',
                      'Dallas Cowboys',
                      '1',
                      '-1',
                      '1',
                      '0',
                      '',
                      '0',
                      '0',
                      '',
                      '',
                      '',
                      '0',
                      '0',
                      '-1',
                      '',
                      '',
                      ',',
                      '',
                      '',
                      '',
                      'Dallas Cowboys',
                      ''
                      )

mysql error: Unknown column 'title_clean' in 'field list'

mysql error number: 1054

Date: Friday 24th of February 2006 01:43:20 PM

Ive looked and not seen any hacks that I installed that dealt with the forums in any way that I can think of, and have seen nothing that deals with this. If I have to reload a vb file which I'm guessing may be the case which one would it be and would it be 3.5.4 or 3.5.3, or would it matter?

Comment

I believe you aare going to have to clear out the imported data and start over, particularly since you've already updated the counters.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

At this point I have decided to go ahead and up date to 3.5.4(since I'm not in circulation yet). I have manage to retry several times with several back ups. I am now back to an import stance. (3.5.4) and getting this error.

ImpEx Database errormysql error: Invalid SQL:
                          DELETE FROM forum
                          WHERE importforumid <> 0
                          OR importcategoryid <> 0

mysql error: Unknown column 'importforumid' in 'where clause'

mysql error number: 1054

Date: Friday 24th of February 2006 10:24:20 PM

I have tried deleteing out the Forums table altogether and letting the import recreate it, as well as just deleting the listed forums inside the table that were created. At this point I'm at a loss, and not sure where to go.

As before everything else imports up to this point (have not gone further until I solve this) but everything else did import in the earlier process.

Comment

I myself and my son figure the problem out. This was due to 'Title_clean' and 'Description_clean' were not in the DB for some reason. WE manually installed both fields in the 'forums' db table and everything took off. We used the same variables and information as that of the 'title' and 'description'.

Many thanks to Steve for all you help, it's been greatly appreciated.

btw we did have to reload the old db back in and then proceed withe changes mentioned above before we could make it work.

Comment

Working...
                            X