Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I help users who can't start new threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I help users who can't start new threads?

On 3.5.x, we continue to have users who can't start new threads. I have the problems sometimes myself (but not always) on my board but not on others vB boards.

I usually tell people to wait awhile and start the thread with a new title. I also tell them to write in vB rather than in word. I saw Steve say in an earlier discussion of this problem:

It's impossible to know exactly what it is but some possibilites are: browsers, browser settings, Internet and security settings, ISP and/or cache issues, firewalls, ad-blockers, and any other application that affects Internet content.
    We use Safari a lot. What are the settings that casue problems? Is there a checklist I should have users go through?

What problem(s) occur when they can't start new threads? Does the page just doesn't load, does an error message pop up, or does it not let you submit your post after you write it? More details would be appreciated!

Comment

It doesn't let the user post or start the thread.

A user reported:

I've been trying to start a new thread in the first years forum for 3 days and it keeps saying "invalid forum".

Another user:

I'm not a stranger to the boards and I've started new threads before but lately every time I try to start one, I can't! I'm routed to a page that "can't be found." Wondering if it's my computer (it's old) or is that sometimes the boards are crowded and the system can't handle my request? Any suggestions? It's so frustrating....

Or it says, "Safari cannot open page." Usually, when I get the latter message it's when I'm going to a new site. I just reload and go without a problem. vB doesn't always allow that.

I know that sometimes when I can't start a thread, it's because I haven't posted a title. I wonder if that is what causes a problem for some users.

But I know that at other times, I had to change the title to get the thread to start, or I had to wait awhile and then try again.

Is there a problem when users write the text of their op in Word and paste into vB as opposed to writing in vB?

We're on our own managed 70 GB server at Verio. Usually no more than 100 active users at any time.

Thanks

Comment

Anybody else having this problem?

Comment

Is this an unmodified vBulletin forum?

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
            Is this an unmodified vBulletin forum?
            There are no hacks. We've fit it on a page within the navigation tools for our web site. So its a little narrow and the colors are hardly changed, if at all.

Comment

We've had the same problem, but it didn't start until 3.5.3

Comment

Here's what I've posted in our Letters to the Editor, Moderator Forum:

First, you cuss. Then you cuss me. Then you cuss the darn software, which seems of have a glicth. Then you look at your computer, which the software developers say causes the problem. Then you do this:

1. Copy your message to a sticky or other word processor.
                2. Close your browser.
                3. Make sure you have the latest version of your browser.
                4. Make sure your popup blockers are off and that your filters, if any, aren't causing some problem. Corporate firewalls also can cause problems.
                5. Having wasted 5 minutes messing around with your computer, go back to the forum and start your new thread again. Careful, now, step 6 is important, I think.
                6. What works for me when this happens is that I write a slightly different title or headline for the thread. That seems to help more often than not when I have this problem.
                7. Paste/copy your message back into the opening thread.
                8. Submit the thread, and hold your breath.
                9. Sometimes, I just give up for a little bit and try again later, which really annoys me, as I know it does you.

But, then, again, this software was developed in London, and it's all their fault. Yet, it's the best message board software available.

I'm sorry for the rambling answer and your problems. Good luck.

This weekend a member with the latest Windows XP Home and IE couldn't start threads. On Monday morning she could. But I couldn't get an edit of a member's thread title to take.
                Last edited by oldedit; Mon 13th Feb '06, 10:29am.

Comment

I've never expireded a problem like this.

If you have hacks or addons its more than possible it could be causing this, if you want to try to resolve it, remove your hacks, remove your addons, and use the default style.

You should note that we cannot officaly provide support for hack/modified forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                    I've never expireded a problem like this.

If you have hacks or addons its more than possible it could be causing this, if you want to try to resolve it, remove your hacks, remove your addons, and use the default style.

You should note that we cannot officaly provide support for hack/modified forums.
                    As noted before, there are no hacks nor add ons. We're on a Verio managed server, which we have to ourselves. I've seen other members here say they have the same problems. I get one to two complaints a week and have problems starting threads every 10 threads or so. I'm on Safari and broadband most of the time, but IE people also have the problem.

Comment

I just tried to post in two different forums and failed

On my board, vb 3.51 soon to be 3.5.x, I just tried to post new threads as a user in two different forums, after successfully posting new threads in other forums.

This definitely is a vB bug. Don't blame it on the users.

Comment

To troubleshoot this, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server.

Next, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

If you do, then please out a support ticket at:

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP. Please also include a complete description of the problem.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have never had a problem like this or any other problems with vB, but I do upgrade everytime they put one out, I'm at 3.5.4 right now and have a great host in Geekydesigns.

Brick9

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            To troubleshoot this, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server.

Next, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

If you do, then please out a support ticket at:

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP. Please also include a complete description of the problem.
                            YOu're beyond my technical capabilities. My consutant is supposed to upgrade us from 3.5.1 to 3.5.4 this weekend. I'll ask him to try this.

Comment

Working...
                            X