Forum won't send e-mails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum won't send e-mails

I'm running a test forum on my localhost Windows XP/Apache/PHP 5 setup. I've set php.ini's sendmail_from and SMTP directives to my ISP's SMTP server. mail() works and sends messages. vbmail() doesn't. I just never get any e-mails.

I know code modifications aren't to be discussed here, but a reference showing the problem: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105149

I have not set vBulletin to use SMTP, so it should use PHP's mail() function when vbmail() is called. I've disabled the mail queue to no avail. So why would mail() work and vbmail() not work? What configuration could be incorrect? PHP appears correct given mail() works.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

First try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> Enable "-f" Parameter -> Yes

Then try the vB email functions. If it still doesn't work, then try the email diagnostics in the Admin CP and report back the results:

Admin CP -> Imports & Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Email
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

SMTP: smtp.************
      sendmail_from: [email protected]*********
      sendmail_path: None

Results
      The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail.
      Check your mail server to ensure it is configured correctly to allow PHP to send mail from it. You should also check your mail server's error log for more diagnostic information.
      That was with "-f" enabled.

Comment

Then this is a server issue. You'll need to check the mail logs to see exactly what the error is.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have located the problem (after removing the @ in front of mail() in the mail class which was surpressing any useful debugging information). I had the webmaster e-mail set to [email protected] The SMTP server rejected the e-mail because it did not consider that to be valid.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X