Email doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email doesn't work

It looks like I can't use email in the AdminCP. It's set for PHP. I also have 80+ users awaiting email confirmation at this time which is really unusual. I've tested the email with a couple of my own addresses and it doesn't look like any mail is getting through. I can't get SMTP to work either although I'm going to try again.

I've contacted the host and they have not been able to correct the problem yet, but it looks like they are working on it.

When I use the PHP setting I don't get any bounce backs. Is this normal? It's like mail is going in a black hole.

With the exception of AOL the email has been working ok until now. I take it this may be a server issue? Has anyone else experienced this?

Ok now the host is saying that there's not a problem with the server. What else could it be? It's been working until recently.

Anyone have any idea's?

Comment

Mine does not work either....

The guys at Vbulletin say they tested it and it works fine. I get nothing.

It's always the blame game. It's the host, it's the board, it's the server.

Blah Blah Blah

Comment

Make sure you have a valid webmaster's email address in your Admin CP settings and that there is only one address. Then try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> Enable "-f" Parameter -> Yes

Then try the vB email functions.

If it still doesn't work, then this is either a server and/or mailbox issue.

vB uses PHP's mail() function for all its email and uses the SMTP server specified in php.ini. If PHP and the mail server are configured correctly then email will work.

Since some email is working, you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails that don't work. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I enabled the F Function

and got the email. It saids that everything on the server side is configured correctly. I changed it back and get nothing.

I am hosted on Yahoo.

Comment

I believe yahoo has a problem sending all mail though php.

Comment

The vbulletin guys say it works perfect for them....

You know...

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve. I've been using this shared hosting since October and I haven't had a problem until recently.

I first noticed a problem with AOL, and I know there are many problems with AOL. Now the problem may have expanded or there's a whole different problem altogther.

I'll get back when I have more info to post. I'm going over some error messages with SMTP. I'm sending them to the host.

I get no bounce backs and no indication that there is a problwm with the PHP email. There just doesn't seem to be any mail.

Comment

To fix the email problems with Yahoo hosting you need to make sure the Webmaster's email address iin the vBulletin Options is using the same domain name as your forums. This is one of the many idiosyncracies with Yahoo.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I haven't heard back from my host yet on the last response I gave them.

I've done the following.

Maintenance > Diagnostics > Email

I get:

Results:
                    The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail.Check your mail server to ensure it is configured correctly to allow PHP to send mail from it. You should also check your mail server's error log for more diagnostic information.
                    So it's the mail server.

Comment

I should also mention that I get the follwing along with what I posted above.

Pertinent PHP Settings

SMTP:localhost

sendmail_from: None

sendmail_path: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

Comment

Did you try my suggestion in post #9? If so, then this is a problem your host will have to resolve.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yes I've done
                          Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> Enable "-f" Parameter -> Yes

I've also tried both PHP and SMTP to no avail. I still get the errors in the diagnostic.
                          The webmaster email also corresponds to the domain name. I use the catch all email from the host.

Comment

The host provider did make some changes in order to fix the situation. Now I'm getting an error with the PHP email.

"Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /includes/class_mail.php on line 536

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to :25 in /includes/class_mail.php on line 536"
                            Last edited by calguns; Fri 13 Jan '06, 3:47am.

Comment

Only had problems with yahoo and aol emails.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X