X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bmanz
    replied
    Originally posted by RedWingFan
    Another question--does the AJAX help with improving the load on the server? Since vB seems to be reloading only the portion of a page that has been edited or posted to, and not the entire page, doesn't that cut down on resource usage?
    i also need to know if AJAX helps with the load
    i have also so some AJAX hacks for 3.0.X but not sure if it would help

Leave a comment:

• RedWingFan
    replied
    Another question--does the AJAX help with improving the load on the server? Since vB seems to be reloading only the portion of a page that has been edited or posted to, and not the entire page, doesn't that cut down on resource usage?

Leave a comment:

• RedWingFan
    replied
    We've just upgraded a few months ago (faster CPU, more than 3x the memory, faster drive, new my.cnf with an assist from vB staff, etc.), and yet we've slipped back into some minor slowdowns. We've grown, but I would say it was not by a huge amount--IOW, we haven't doubled our traffic in three months. We were running quite slow on our old server, so we did notice an immediate improvement when we chose the new hardware. In fact, I'm going to suggest we split MySQL to its own box the next time we need to make a hardware improvement.

I just wanted to know if 3.5.x would, in general, be more efficient in a few areas to help ease the loads. And it seems like it may be a little more expensive resource-wise. I have a separate thread elsewhere, posted today, asking about certain queries, and if they are possibly tied to unnecessary features we could disable to ease the load. I know some queries can be "expensive", and if they only provide limited value, there's no sense in keeping them. (Such as, the display of currently logged on members on the home page...only us moderators and admins have a real use for that information.)

Thanks for the feedback!

Leave a comment:

• Colin F
    replied
    To be honest, what I've heard is that vBulletin 3.5.x tends to put a higher load on the server than vBulletin 3.0.x, due in part also to the plugin system and the code changes. Thus I wouldn't upgrade at the moment. The developers are working on lowering the load values again though.

Maybe it's time to upgrade your server hardware?

Leave a comment:

• RedWingFan
    started a topic 3.0.x to 3.5.x: are we optimized yet?

3.0.x to 3.5.x: are we optimized yet?

I'm posting this isince some users are again reporting slow performance of our current vB 3.0.x installation. I've already asked for database tweaking information here (my.cnf), and have had it in place for a few months now. It has helped!

My question is this, and I have not seen this posted anywhere after searching the forum: has anything been done to the 3.5.x branch to optimize the performance of database queries and help reduce server load? My fear is that the added new features will bog us down even more. If 3.5.x will help improve performance, I'll get a crew together to help us make the switch. (We have a lot of templates to recreate from scratch, since our current ones do not work with 3.5.x in our private test forum.) If not, I'll continue seeking advice on how to further tune the database or eliminate unneeded features.

Thanks!
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X