change (add to) automatically generated email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change (add to) automatically generated email

I do not allow users to register using free email services (yahoo hotmail gmail etc...) when they attempt to register using one of these, vbulletin sends them an email saying they have been banned. Usually the person attempting to register is confused and sends me an email wondering why (if they've never been a member of the forum before) they have been banned.

Is it possible to add an explanation in the auto generated email itself?

thanks
    -dan

You can edit the message by searching for part of the text of the message in the Languages & Phrases system. Since this will be sent to all banned users, you'll want to add a generic phrase like, "If you tried to register with a generic e-mail service like Yahoo, Hotmail, or GMail, then your registration has been blocked. You must register with a valid e-mail address."

P.S. I can understand blocking Hotmail but Yahoo and GMail?

Comment

Thanks, this should cut down on my daily emails.

Originally posted by feldon23
      P.S. I can understand blocking Hotmail but Yahoo and GMail?
      Yeah, unfortunately this is necessary also. I run a board for comicbook and pop-culture discussions and we get some very resourceful trolls who hide their ips (or have dynamic ips etc...) create new fake email accounts and new board accounts and cause trouble (occasionally very significant and illegal trouble (i.e. serious threats of violence etc...)). So I'm attempting to require email addresses that are held by real people. In other-words if I have a serious problem I can contact the email service provider and the authorities and they can track down a real (paying) person.

-dan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X