FTP Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP Access

If I give someone FTP Access, they'd have access to the vBulletin code. I have a few questions about that:

1. Would my customer license number and password be revealed in any way? (Would they be able to log into my Member's Area and download vBulletin themselves, and change my installation location?)
    2. Is this breaking vBulletin TOS?

I'd like a staff member to give me an official answer

Thanks,
    Blootix

Just give them access to a specific directory and not to the directory where you store your vBulletin files.

Your customer number would be revealed, not your password though.
    CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

Comment

But see, he's a staff member on my site and I need him to do some custom hacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Blootix.com
        But see, he's a staff member on my site and I need him to do some custom hacking.
        OK, well then that is fine, he will have access to your files, therefore, will have access to your customer number. He will not have any access to your password though.

You should be fine, I assume you trust him since you made him a mod. Do a db backup and file backup before he starts. If anything goes crazy, just revert

Comment

Hmm can you show me where this customer number is? If it's a security issue please PM me about it.

Can I get a staff member to confirm that this is true?

Comment

This is a security issue. If he copies your files and uses them elsewhere, this could affect the status of your license.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              This is a security issue. If he copies your files and uses them elsewhere, this could affect the status of your license.
              Steve, correct me if I am wrong, however, assuming he has deleted the install file, how could this moderator take his files and run them on another server? He would have the files, however, not the db to support them.

Comment

If he has ftp access to your server, he is effectively a vBulletin administrator.

He could dump your database, import it on a new host and clear out the old data. No need for an install.

Comment

I think I trust him enough that he wouldn't do that since he's one of my real life friends. I just don't feel comfortable with people knowing my customer ID and password, so all I'm asking is that if giving FTP access will reveal either or both of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                    If he has ftp access to your server, he is effectively a vBulletin administrator.

He could dump your database, import it on a new host and clear out the old data. No need for an install.
                    That is a good point Zach, I use SSH to dump my db and completely forgot about the tool within vBulletin to do this. So then yes he could in fact "steal" your forums.

Comment

Working...
                    X