Installing my VBulletin on my personal computer for private use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing my VBulletin on my personal computer for private use

Okay, here are the instructions for installing my copy of VBulletin. I would like to install it on my private computer for personal use (which will not function as an internet server, by the way). I also have WAMP5 installed and running as a background process currently (on my personal laptop computer).

Installing a new vBulletin 3
    First, unzip the vBulletin zip file you downloaded from the members' area to your hard disk and then open the upload/includes folder. In this you will find config.php.new. You should rename this to config.php and then open it in a text editor.
    Okay, I did this part so far. The text editor is now open.

The config.php file is commented throughout, so you should be able to work out what values to enter for the variables yourself.
    I'm stuck. I don't know how to do this part. What do I do here? What values do I enter for the variables?

When you have finished, save the file and then upload the entire contents of the 'upload' folder to your web server.
    When this is done, point your browser at http://www.domain.com/forums/install/install.php (where www.domain.com/forums/ is the URL of your vBulletin) and proceed to click the 'Next Step' buttons until the script asks to fill in some addresses and names for your board.
    After you have done this, the installer will ask you for some details to set you up as the administrator of the new vBulletin. A few more clicks and the script will be finished.
    Before proceeding to the Admin Control Panel, you must delete the install/install.php and install/upgrade1.php files from your webserver. You may then enter the control panel and start working on your new vBulletin!
    The entire installation process should take no more than five minutes.
    For a complete description of how to install vBulletin 3, see the installation section of the vBulletin 3 Manual.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/install

Can you confirm that a web server, php and mysql is installed?
    Did you create a new database and a user (and linked the user to that database) for vB to use?

Usually the database host = localhost
    Usually the database name = the one you created for vb
    Usually the database user = root
    Usually the database pass = (empty, nothing..) (should always change this)

Win32 solutions usually have default user/pass combinations.

Comment

I gave you some advice here.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
        Can you confirm that a web server, php and mysql is installed?
        When I click Control/Alt/Delete, it brings up my Task Manager. Then I look under Processes, and then I see wampserver.exe on the list, albeit with 00 CPU usage at the moment. WAMP5 is not running as an Application however.

WAMP5 consists of apache, php and mysql. It's installed, but I just can't observe it doing anything.

Did you create a new database and a user (and linked the user to that database) for vB to use?
        No. How do I do that? I don't wish to run vBulletin with a domain name, because I just want to run it on my personal computer for private use for now.

Currently, I've hired a server here: http://mybibleforum.com/index.php?

However, I'm going to let that domain name expire in a couple of months, and I won't be using the server anymore. The forum is inactive (beyond a small journal that I keep there). I just want to run the vBulletin program on my private computer without a host. As soon as I get the program running on my private computer (granting no access to the public), I will cease my server contract and have the current website removed. And I'd like to operate the program without a domain name.

Usually the database host = localhost
        Is this for the domain name? I don't want to use a domain name, because it's on my personal computer.

Usually the database name = the one you created for vb
        Usually the database user = root
        Usually the database pass = (empty, nothing..) (should always change this)
        I'm not sure what all of this means. Are these allocations for the upload/includes/config.php.new folder?

Win32 solutions usually have default user/pass combinations.
        ----

Originally posted by feldon23
        I was going to ask, Apache, MySQL, and PHP don't have an obvious presence. You'll know they're running if you go to http://localhost/ and see an unconfigured website.
        When I click your link, it says this:

Server Configuration
        Apache version :
        Apache/1.3.33 (Win32)

PHP version :

Loaded extensions :
        bcmath, calendar, com_dotnet, ctype, date, ftp, iconv, odbc, pcre, session, libxml, standard, tokenizer, zlib, SimpleXML, dom, SPL, wddx, xml, apache, mbstring, mysql, mysqli, PDO, pdo_sqlite, SQLite

MySQL version :
        5.0.16-nt

Tools

phpinfo( )
        PHPmyadmin 2.6.4-pl4
        SQLitemanager 1.1.3

Your projects

No project yet.
        To create a new one, just create a directory in 'www'.

You unzip vBulletin to the htdocs folder (the equivalent to public_html on your web host). On my computer that folder is C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\htdocs\. I created a shortcut to it called public_html on my desktop.
        Okay, I just unzipped vBulletin to C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\htdocs\. I've created no Desktop shortcut. I formerly had the vBulletin folder unzipped directly to my Desktop.

Then you will need to create a MySQL database (Start menu -> Programs -> MySQL -> MySQL Server -> MySQL Command Line Client) for your vBulletin to store its data in. All of this is spelled out in the vB User Manual.
        I am unable to track down MySQL from Start -> All Programs/. However, I see Start -> All Programs -> Wampserver -> start Wampserver. What's next?

And finally you have to edit includes/config.php in your vBulletin folder to match what you just set up in MySQL. The username and password will be whatever you set up when you configured MySQL for the first time (Start -> Programs -> MySQL -> MySQL Server -> MySQL Server Instance Config Wizard).
        Last edited by Reighnskye; Fri 9 Dec '05, 2:44pm.

Comment

Is it possible that I could have someone directly network to my computer, so that they could functionally install vBulletin and WAMP5 on it? I just don't have the expertise to do it myself. Just curious. What would this entail?

Comment

You can get support for WAMP5 with the authors of that software.
            And you can order a professional installation service for vBulletin from the members area, the costs are $135.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
              You can get support for WAMP5 with the authors of that software.
              And you can order a professional installation service for vBulletin from the members area, the costs are $135.
              Okay thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X