upgrade_308.php?step=1 hung, can't proceed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade_308.php?step=1 hung, can't proceed

So my 3.0.5 to 3.5.2 upgrade has started off poorly. Can't get past step 1 "Miscellaneous table alterations 1/1" "Altering attachment Table (1 of 2)". It has been stopped for well over an hour now. The browser is no longer loading, and only tries to load for a few minutes before it is "done".

Our forum backup is 3.2 gigs.

so what do I do?

Server is pretty fast, lots of memory, plenty free space on the HD.

Thanks

How large is your attachments table? It's conceivable this step could ttake several hours for a very large table.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Don't know, but I imagine that it is 1 gb or so. Will this step actually refresh the browser when it is finished even though the browser is no longer loading? (Internet Explorer)

Also impatient people like myself tend to click on the link like at the top of the upgrade page that take us back to the beginning, then start over with the same results. Would restarting this step, as I have done (a couple of times) lead to errors? Each time I increased the max execution time hoping this would let the process continue.

I do have a backup, which I hope is complete from before I started this process.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        How large is your attachments table? It's conceivable this step could ttake several hours for a very large table.
        Steve,

I have the same issue - my attachment table is 2.2 gbs - so I expect this will take all night. Is there anyway I can tell if the process is still running and not hung up?

Thanks.

Comment

After about 6 hours I got the following message

Database error in vBulletin :
          mysql_connect(): Too many connections
          /home/XXXX/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 273

Now I seem to be stuck - any ideas on how to fix?

Comment

The server has maxed out the number of MySQL connections it allows. You can try turning persistent
            connections off in your config.php:

$config['MasterServer']['usepconnect'] = 0;

But if you still have problems after that, all you can do is ask your host to raise the maximum number of connections they allow.

Here is more info on that error:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/o/Too_many_connections.html

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks I had them increase the settings and now we can at least run the script again. This first step will be slow because of the big attachment table correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                The server has maxed out the number of MySQL connections it allows. You can try turning persistent
                connections off in your config.php:

$config['MasterServer']['usepconnect'] = 0;

But if you still have problems after that, all you can do is ask your host to raise the maximum number of connections they allow.

Here is more info on that error:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/o/Too_many_connections.html
                Steve,

I've got the connections raised and i can run the script again, but as step 1 loads it hangs up about 1/2 way through and eventually (4 hours or so) I get a can not connect message. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

This is still the same issue. There's not enough connections available on the server to allow this process to finish. Only your host can resolve this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'm having the same problem... the system locks up with 'too many connections' after about an hour and I have to restart it. My attachment table is about 500mb and the max connections is set for 500, which I would think would be plenty. It locked up once, so I restarted it with persistent
                    connections 'off', but it happened again when I re-ran the upgrade script.

Any ideas? Isn't 500 connections enough for a table that's only 500mb?

Comment

I haven't figured it out yet, I think there is a proplem in the way my provider has mysql or php set up, if i figure it out I'll let you know. BTW I couldn't do it with more connections than that, so thats why I think the problem lies elsewhere.

Comment

Well, since the update only modified the fields, I dumped the table, emptied the table, and ran the update once again. Worked find, so I imported the data back into the database and continued on until I hit another wall at the 3.50 update. The update ran for five hours before I killed it. This was only one of the two modifications that were required to the attachment table. There has to be a better way then this... I can't shut down my site for two days in order to update the software.

Comment

I don't think its the software, too many other people can upgrade it without problems. I just haven't been able to figure out if the MYSQL, PHP or some corruption in the database that is causing the hang up. Seems like it might be corruption in the attachment table since you could upgrade without it then had problems when you put it back in???

Comment

BTW, I had figured out the problem... lack of space on the drive where the mysql databases are kept. I repartitioned the drives and it took only a few minutes to get past the steps in question.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X