Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Type Questions For SLOW Big Forum

Hello,

Having a lot of slow down issues with our forum lately during peak times. I think I may need to change the search type.

Which is better for accuracy of results: VB Search, Full Text Natural Language or Full Text Boolean?

Our database server is very powerful but the front end is not as powerful, so am I right to assume that changing to Full Text Boolean should make the load less for us (less server is busy errors when load average is over 50)? Is VB doing a lot of CPU/memory processing during VB type searches or is the load put on the MySQL server? I'm assuming it is the front-end server that bears the load with the default VB search? Correct?

When I disable Full Text Natural Language for all usergroups, will that mean that the front page navbar DHTML search will default to Boolean as well as the advanced search?

Please help quick!

Thanks!
    Ryan DeLuca
    Bodybuilding.com
    Last edited by RyanD789; Tue 6 Dec '05, 2:50pm.

The vB Search and the Full Text Boolean will return the most accurate results but they also will require more MYSQL time than the Natural Language search.

If you want to lower your loads then you should give most users only the NL search. It was designed the way it is to be an alternative search for those forums who can no longer handle the boolean searches.

The answer to the last question would be yes.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. My problem is that I want both: quality results and fast responses. I will PAY for hardware to achieve it, but that takes time install.

I will see what happens when I turn on Full Text Boolean as far as load goes...

I added this part to my original question while you were replying:

"Our database server is very powerful but the front end is not as powerful, so am I right to assume that changing to Full Text Boolean should make the load less for us (less server is busy errors when load average is over 50)? Is VB doing a lot of CPU/memory processing during VB type searches or is the load put on the MySQL server? I'm assuming it is the front-end server that bears the load with the default VB search? Correct?"

Thanks!
      Ryan DeLuca
      Bodybuilding.com

Comment

MySQL bears the brunt of the load for both search types so I can't answer as to which will perform better for you. All I can suggest is to give them both a try.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X