Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I stop vBulletin from populating meta tags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conqsoft
    replied
    If they ignore robots.txt there's a good chance they'll ignore the META tags too, which is why I said the best way is just to disallow guests from any access.

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    The more unsavory search engine bots ignore robots.txt.

Leave a comment:

• Caravan
    replied
    Originally posted by conqsoft
    The OS of the web server has no bearing on robots.txt. robots.txt is put into the root of your site and search engine robots look for that first to see what they should and shouldn't spider.
    Hmmm..OK, sometimes I'm a real dunce...I'll try putting one in the WWW root and see if that works.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• conqsoft
    replied
    The OS of the web server has no bearing on robots.txt. robots.txt is put into the root of your site and search engine robots look for that first to see what they should and shouldn't spider.

Leave a comment:

• Caravan
    replied
    Unfortunately, I don't run Linux, only a crappy Win2K server. No robots.txt or similar facility. So I have to edit the templates to remove the vB meta tags and insert <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex"> on each one. I think that should stop all of the spider thingies dead.

I also have view permissions denied for all non-registered uses.

Any way to get a list of the templates that would need to be modified?
    Last edited by Caravan; Sat 3 Dec '05, 4:23pm.

Leave a comment:

• conqsoft
    replied
    Yeah, robots.txt would be my suggestion as well. Though, some search engines ignore that, and the META nofollow/noindex too.

For best results, just deny guests from having any view permissions on your site.

Leave a comment:

• bithaze
    replied
    Wouldn't it also work to edit your robots.txt to disallow your forums directory/files? To stop spiders from crawling his content, I mean.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You will need to search for all templates with a meta tag and edit this out of them.

Leave a comment:

• Caravan
    started a topic How do I stop vBulletin from populating meta tags?

How do I stop vBulletin from populating meta tags?

I'd like vB to stop populating meta tags on my web pages. I do not want my pages serachable by any web crawlers, spiders, etc.

My site is private and I'd like to keep it that way. In fact, I'd like to be able to have...

<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex, nofollow">
    ...included on every web page.

This is the stuff I'd like vB to STOP doing...ESPECIALLY the meta tag that has vBulletin on it.

<meta name="generator" content="vBulletin 3.5.0" />
    <meta name="keywords" content="More baseball defections may happen!!, None" />
    <meta name="description" content="More baseball defections may happen!! General Topics" />

Is this possible?

TIA.