AOL Blocking VBulletin & Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOL Blocking VBulletin & Others

Unfortunately I have discovered that AOL has now been blocking every forum signup and site signup and being held as unsolicited spam.

http://postmaster.info.aol.com/error...ycs4.html\n421

That seems to say that no email would be coming through based upon spam at our domain. Apparently a script on another domain from a server we shared was a problem (not terribly large it would seem) and dealt with immediately. AOL just takes the IP address and does what it does. Messages to AOL users OTHER than vbulletin are not backed up in our queue so it is possible that AOL raised their "spam meters" and now catching every vbulletin notification/signup that is going there.

Anyone encounter this problem? I can't imagine it is isolated. While the offending script at a completely different domain was dealt with within hours of receiving their useless "report cards", AOL promises to resolve any problems within 3-5 business days -- which means your domain can be shut down for up to 11 full days. Basically if their users say something is spam and it rises above a certain percentage, they will shut you down. They use reverse DNS to shut down the entire IP address.

Message 1Ei9ab-0000a2-AT is not frozen
    delivering 1Ei9ab-0000a2-AT
    Connecting to mailin-03.mx.aol.com [64.12.138.120]:25 ... failed: Connection timed out (timeout=5m)
    LOG: MAIN
    mailin-03.mx.aol.com [64.12.138.120]: Connection timed out
    Connecting to mailin-03.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.217]:25 ... connected
    SMTP<< 220-rly-yc04.mail.aol.com ESMTP mail_relay_in-yc4.4; Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:58:06 -0500
    220-America Online (AOL) and its affiliated companies do not
    220- authorize the use of its proprietary computers and computer
    220- networks to accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited bulk
    220- e-mail sent from the internet. Effective immediately: AOL
    220- may no longer accept connections from IP addresses which
    220 have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned.
    SMTP>> EHLO myhostname.mynameserver.net
    SMTP<< 250-rly-yc04.mail.aol.com myhostname.myforumdomain.com
    250 HELP
    SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<[email protected]>
    SMTP<< 250 OK
    SMTP>> RCPT TO:<[email protected]>
    SMTP<< 250 OK
    SMTP>> DATA
    SMTP<< 354 START MAIL INPUT, END WITH "." ON A LINE BY ITSELF
    SMTP>> writing message and terminating "."
    SMTP<< 421-: (RLY:CS4) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421rlycs4.html
    421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mailin-03.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.217]: 421-: (RLY:CS4) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/error...ycs4.html\n421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    SMTP>> QUIT
    Connecting to mailin-03.mx.aol.com [205.188.159.57]:25 ... connected
    SMTP<< 220-rly-yg05.mx.aol.com ESMTP mail_relay_in-yg5.6; Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:58:16 -0500
    SMTP<< 250-rly-yg05.mx.aol.com myhostname.myforumdomain.com
    250 HELP
    SMTP<< 250 OK
    SMTP<< 250 OK
    SMTP>> DATA
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mailin-03.mx.aol.com [205.188.159.57]: 421-: (RLY:CS4) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/error...ycs4.html\n421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    SMTP>> QUIT
    Connecting to mailin-03.mx.aol.com [64.12.138.57]:25 ... connected
    SMTP<< 220-rly-xk01.mx.aol.com ESMTP mail_relay_in-xk1.5; Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:58:17 -0500
    SMTP<< 250-rly-xk01.mx.aol.com myhostname.myforumdomain.com
    250 HELP
    SMTP<< 250 OK
    SMTP<< 250 OK
    SMTP>> DATA
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mailin-03.mx.aol.com [64.12.138.57]: 421-: (RLY:CS4) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/error...ycs4.html\n421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    SMTP>> QUIT
    Connecting to mailin-02.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.25]:25 ... connected
    SMTP<< 220-rly-yj05.mx.aol.com ESMTP mail_relay_in-yj5.2; Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:58:20 -0500
    SMTP<< 250-rly-yj05.mx.aol.com myhostname.myforumdomain.com
    250 HELP
    SMTP<< 250 OK
    SMTP<< 250 OK
    SMTP>> DATA
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mailin-02.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.25]: 421-: (RLY:CS4) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/error...ycs4.html\n421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    SMTP>> QUIT
    == [email protected] R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mailin-02.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.25]: 421-: (RLY:CS4) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/error...ycs4.html\n421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    Return to Mail Queue
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Are you getting error messages or is the email just going into a black hole?

Comment

I'm having a problem with AOL as the PHP mail sent through Vbulletin are not getting through. I used the diagnostic in the Admin Control Panel of Vbulletin to test an @aol address and the report is that there is no returned errors.

The receiving email isn't mine and I haven't heard back yet. The registraion emails aren't getting through to AOL addresses so I don't think this will be any different.

I'm having the user add my sending email address to their address book to see if that makes a difference.

Comment

This is old, but if you want support I need the EXACT error email you are getting back.

The user above has an issue with his deciated server.

Comment

Unfortunately there is no error message on my end. I have to ask about the logs.

Originally posted by Zachery
          This is old, but if you want support I need the EXACT error email you are getting back.

The user above has an issue with his deciated server.

Comment

I'm interested in this as well

For me, it isn't AOL - its Verizon.net, but I suspect it may be a similar issue. Does it have anything to do with running the sendmail daemon as user "nobody"?

No error is returned, the mail gets deferred and stays in the queue, retrying until it ultimately times out.

Here's a couple of lines from my maillog showing the rejection:
            Code:
            Jan 31 06:45:09 corinth sendmail[18631]: k0VBj8Mo018629: to=<[email protected]>, ctladdr=<[email protected]> (99/99), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=esmtp, pri=30520, relay=relay.verizon.net. [206.46.232.11], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: 450 Requested mail action not taken-Try later:sv16pub.verizon.net
            Jan 31 06:48:23 corinth sendmail[18679]: k0VBmNIv018679: from=nobody, size=1529, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<[email protected]>, [email protected]

Comment

Ah... this has been happening to me... I usually get about 20 members a day, and at least 1 or 2 from aol. Almost every AOL user has emailed me saying they're not getting their email activation email, even if I resend it. No bounce backs - people have checked their trash and bulk folders, and nothing.
              PhotographyCorner.com

Comment

Two things that may help.
                1. make sure the IP address by which your outbound mail server connects has a reverse DNS entry.
                2. make sure your 'from' address is a valid email address.

For example, if your server name is mail.yourserver.com with an IP of 123.3.4.5, doing an nslookup on 123.3.4.5 must resolve to mail.yourserver.com.

If your from address is [email protected], then webmaster must be a valid email account that can receive mail.
                http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

Will that not necessarily be the case if you use virtual hosting, though?
                  PhotographyCorner.com

Comment

Not all hosts use reverse dns or even have it setup, as a result, AOL bounces their e-mail.

Comment

What would I need to ask my host to do so it has the correct reverse dns?
                      PhotographyCorner.com

Comment

Regarding Reverse DNS &amp; [email protected] from vBulletin

I've delved quite a bit into this issue and am having the same problems described here when mailing to AOL users from my CIHOST server. However, I DO get emails when AOL bounces my verification email. I believe that's because I have configured my email manager so that all email bounces are sent to the email system's "catchall" box and the contents of the catchall box are forwarded directly to me as the dedicated server's admin. As a result I DO see the bounced verification emails that AOL sends back. Here's an example received earlier today:

Code:
                        The original message was received at Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:51:47 -0600
                        from [email protected]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
                        [email protected]
                            (reason: 554 <[email protected]>: Sender address rejected: Access denied)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
                        ... while talking to mx.myserver.net.:
                        >>> RCPT To:<[email protected]>
                        <<< 554 <[email protected]>: Sender address rejected: Access denied
                        554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
                        But looking close at this bounced message, i've just realized for the first tiime that it does NOT appear to contain the "[email protected]" sender name anywhere. So, I went back to look and see if I still have the "-f" parameter option set ON in the vBulletin options and indeed I do. So, that might explain why the sent message does NOT have the [email protected] parameter in it. However, I know for a fact that I've seen other messages sent out by vBulletin today that DO still have the [email protected] line in their headers. That suggests that not all parts of vBulletin are necessarily fully obeying the "-f" parameter.

Any how I thought you folks might find this information helpful and informative.

Hopefully togeter we will figure this out.

The trouble is, I'm not sure exactly what AOL is telling me here. It could be that they are rejecting the email because the "from" email address supplied by vbulletin is my admin email address which does NOT reside on this server. Or it could be that they don't like the server itself because it has no revers-DNS entry. Or as some of the earlier posts here have suggested, it could be because there is a [email protected] parameter somewhere in the headers that we do not see here in this bounced email. God knows I've certainly got plenty of other live examples of vBulletin emails that bounced from places OTHER than AOL that very clearly DO have the [email protected] parameter in their headers. So I can't be absolutely certain in this case exactly WHAT the underlying cause of this bounce is. Nor can I be absolutely certain that if I FIX the reason it's being bounced for now that AOL inbound mail handler won't just dream up ANOTHER reason to bounce the inbound email once I fix this one.

What I do know right now is that my server HAS no reverse-DNS entry. When I asked CIHost about that a month ago, I believe they told me that they only provide one reverse-DNS for an entire dedicated server no matter how many IP addresses are actually hosted on the server. The implication was that they could & would probably charge extra if I wanted to have a reverse-DNS entry per domain.

My other research on this topic has also turned up a couple of other relevant posts here in the archives and elsewhere as well that suggest the [email protected] issue can be fully resolved by setting up a proper virtual-user table and a so-called reverse mapping "generics" table plus updating sendmail's local-host-names table as well. The original reference (found through google) that discusses this technique resides right here on the vbulletin server at this location:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archi...hp/t-6247.html

The relevant post in that thread is the one by bmurray which was added to the thread on 12-Apr-2000. Here's what that post says:

After much research, and more than a little time spent, I have found an answer to the "problem" of headers in received mail like From: [email protected]

RFC822 makes it plain that the header "Return-path" is intended to be added to the message by the mail program at the destination(POP3), not at the source(SMTP). Adding it as a header to a mail() function will have no effect as mail() is the source.

If you have PHP compiled into Apache, then PHP mail() sends email to sendmail as the owner of the process which, of course, is 'nobody'. So sendmail will use 'nobody' in the "From" field of the sendmail generated portion of the header.
                        The solution is to follow the instructions in the sendmail configuation to reverse-map outgoing mail to "[email protected]". Here is the URL to those instructions: http://www.sendmail.org/virtual-hosting.html
                        Follow instructions 6 and 7 and you will have no further problems.
                        Of course, that's 5 year old information; but the sendmail page it takes you to "briefly" explains (in 5,000 words or less) how to set up the required tables mentioned above so that sendmail can and will use them to "figure out" exactly who the sending user actually is.

Unfortunately, this is obviously one of those situations where there is no "one-size-fits-all" answer.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X