Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I allow all User Groups to see, but not enter, all forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I allow all User Groups to see, but not enter, all forums?

Something strange happened after we upgraded from 3.07 to 3.5

On the Main Forum Page we have:

9 Categories
    and approximately 5 forums within each category (very much what VB has here)

In the past, an unregistered guest (not logged in) and all User Groups could "see" all categories and all forums.

Category 1 and it's forums are open to the public to read and surf.

All other Categories require a User Group to enter. And further down the list of categories requires higher permissions (or User Groups)

The forums that would say "Private" are those they can "see" but cannot enter because their User Group is too low in permissions.

Then it all changed.

Now you cannot see any categories or forums unless you are logged in with the right User Group with the right permissions.

I tried to go to Forum Permissions, and turned on Category to to "see", but an unregistered guest can now get into a forum they do not have permissions for, and see that there are no posts (when actually there are once you log in).

Essentially, I wish to restore it so . . .

1) All User Groups and unregistered guests can see All Categories and Forums on the Main Forum Page.

2) And they will see "private" next to those forums they have no access too.

3) And they cannot enter any private forum even if they cannot see any threads.

What should I do and where should I go to perform it?

David

DAVID COPELAND
    Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
    Celebrating 20 Years with VB

Anyone?

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

Anyone?

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

I couldn't quite follow this, however if the Forum and Usergroup permissions are set correctly, then you can set this so they can see private forums but not enter them:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Forum Listings Display Options -> Hide Private Forums -> No
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          if the Forum and Usergroup permissions are set correctly,
          Set properly - how?

We have each category for all user groups set correctly, but . . .

There is an option in the Category Permissions titled Can View Forum (which we have as NO).

That should allow your earlier suggestion to answer NO to Hide forums to work. But it does not.

We have the Hide option seletced to NO.

If you wish, go to http://www.ipiu.org/forums/ ad an unregistered Guest and you will not see all of the forums and 9 categories

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

Can view forum YES
            can view thread content NO

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
              Can view forum YES
              can view thread content NO
              As a guest you are only seeing 7 categories instead of 9.

As a guest you are only seeing 2 forums in the GENERAL DISCUSSION CATEGORY instead of all 10.

What we did as a temporary measure was to go into the FORUM PERMISSIONS and then into the few categories and forums that you see and turn ON the single item titled Can View Forum . This is a bandaid.

Here is what a guest is supposed to see:
              (With the exception that forums are marked PRIVATE)

Here is what a guest is currently seeing:

The only reason they are seeing the above is, again, because we manually turned on the permissions for both the category and the two forums for Can View Forum .

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

It seems as if your forumpermissions aren't set correctly.

Also, play around with the 'Show Private Forums' setting, that could possibly have an influence as well. You can find it in your vBulletin Options -> Forum Listings Display Options
                Best Regards
                Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
                  It seems as if your forumpermissions aren't set correctly.

Also, play around with the 'Show Private Forums' setting, that could possibly have an influence as well. You can find it in your vBulletin Options -> Forum Listings Display Options
                  That did it, Colin!

Apparently Steve had provided me with the following instruction which should have been YES instead of NO:

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  I couldn't quite follow this, however if the Forum and Usergroup permissions are set correctly, then you can set this so they can see private forums but not enter them:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Forum Listings Display Options -> Hide Private Forums -> No

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X