Merge Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merge Threads

Please tell me what happens when you merge threads? Does the two threads combine as one? If so, how do you determine which thread is the surviving thread? Does the thread that gets merged into the surviving thread become a "post or reply" under the surviving thread? There is no help or documentation on this function that I can find? Thanks!

When you merge a thread, the posts of one thread are added into the other thread. As they are displayed by date, posts can be mixed throughout the thread. Whichever thread was started first has the first post.
    You can choose to keep the other thread as a redirect or to delete it completely.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
      You can choose to keep the other thread as a redirect or to delete it completely.
      I just merged threads in two different forums and it did not give me the option to redirect one to the other... it just deleted the other thread completely. Did I miss something?

Thanks!

Kathy

Comment

There should have been an option for 'Leave Redirects' when doing this. It worked fine on my 3.5.1 test forum.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          There should have been an option for 'Leave Redirects' when doing this. It worked fine on my 3.5.1 test forum.
          OK I have two more threads I want to merge, but I'm not getting the option to leave redirects. I've attached my screenshot...

Help!

Kathy
          Attached Files

Comment

To troubleshoot this, remove any hacks and disable your plugins, then see if you still have this problem.

If so, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload thee in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server.

Next, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Just discovered something interesting. If the two posts are in the same forum, THEN I get the option to leave a redirect (see attachment).

I'm going to try a workaround (I really don't want to take all the troubleshooting steps from Steve because I'm scared I'll REALLY screw things up and it took me a LONG time to get the board set up the way I want now).

I'm thinking if I move the one thread so they're in the same forum and leave a redirect in the old forum THEN combine the two threads so the one that's left is the one with the redirect (from the other forum), it should accomplish what I'm after.

I'm going to test it out... thanks!

Kathy
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MustangGTorg; Fri 2nd Dec '05, 9:04am.

Comment

Originally posted by MustangGTorg
                I'm thinking if I move the one thread so they're in the same forum and leave a redirect in the old forum THEN combine the two threads so the one that's left is the one with the redirect (from the other forum), it should accomplish what I'm after.

I'm going to test it out...
                It worked...

Thanks!

Kathy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X