WAP friendly version of my Forum ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAP friendly version of my Forum ?

Is there a way to easily create a WAP friendly version of my forum so that members can read and post from a wireless device such as a cellphone or PDA? I want the posts mirrored to the WAP friendly forum and vice-versa but want it to have a seperate address.

Yep, create a new style and simplify it until it works with a WAP device.

Check this out:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/index.php/?pda=1
    It makes reading the forum a lot easier.

Comment

Yes that is somewhat towards what I want but I also need the ability for my users to POST to the WAP friendly version.

Originally posted by Floris
      Yep, create a new style and simplify it until it works with a WAP device.

Check this out:
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/index.php/?pda=1
      It makes reading the forum a lot easier.

Comment

I use this on my site: www.wiforums.net

Check it out here, using a PDA/Phone: wap.fireblades.org It has the ability to allow new users to register on the wireless side too, but I don't allow that on my site.
        vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Can there be any possible exploits?
          Aure entuluva!

http://www.dipsizkuyu.net - Turkey's fountain of knowledge.

Comment

There's always the chance of exploits with any piece of software. WiForums isn't new though, and it used by many very large sites.
            vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

I purchased the WiForums product and would be very careful about recommending it.

The purchase process is cumbersome. On their site I read the standard stuff about adhering to their EULA or I would be sued, no problem. I purchased the product. One day later, I had no response, so I sent an email. I was told I needed to respond within 10 hours to their demand that I reaffirm my intent to follow their EULA and the domain I planned to install it on (couldn't this have been asked during the purchase?). I responded and an hour later I had a download link. After uploading, I had to go to their site to "request" a license file, which I had to wait to be approved, which I then downloaded and had to upload to my server. WOW! Talk about making something as simple as installing a script as difficult as possible.

The entire script is encoded - even the templates. This means you cannot alter the code or the templates - you are only given the ability to change the CSS files. Even something as simple as adding Reputation bits to the product is not possible.

Documentation is very weak - there are configuration variables in the conf file, but nowhere does anything explain what they are.

The website offers no forum from which you can get support, everything is handled via the support ticket system or email. Email and ticket responses are very slow.

For the price, I expected a product that I could modify to suit my needs and no where in what I read did I see that the product was entirely encrypted and unmodifiable.

I purchased the full version ($125) and after two days we are already looking for a replacement.

Comment

The templates aren't encoded.... Not on mine anyway. I have modified mine without any trouble.

Comment

Well, all of mine are - including the header.php and footer.php files. If you aren't running a more recent version, then I would suggest you be careful upgrading. I'm running the latest version 3.4.2

I'll probably try to find a "pda skin" that works with 3.5 for the short term.
                  Last edited by DanaSoft; Thu 9th Feb '06, 7:07am.

Comment

My mistake. I was thinking of the menus. Those are modifiable, but the templates may not be.

Comment

You could try this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...&highlight=WAP
                      *Insert text here* :)

Comment

Thanks, zappsan; I saw that and was considering it, although it is still in BETA and I figured buying a commercial application would be better for my users. I'll probably give it a shot, though.

Comment

Also, I should add that Thad (the author) is very helpful if you send him an e-mail. He is very active on the boards that run it (if ncessary), and always seems to be willing to troubleshoot issues that your users may have. So, I never had and problems with their support.
                          Last edited by conqsoft; Thu 9th Feb '06, 7:40am.

Comment

Speaking from my own experience, I sent in three requests for some additional information - two via email and one via his support ticket system and none of them were answered, although I purchased the product anyways.

Regardless, my issue is entirely with the encoding of not only the script, but the templates - making any modifications impossible. More than likely my users would get my if they could see the reputation as part of the posts;

I assume my users comments about only being able to read one post at a time may be a configuration item, but there isn't any documentation to tell me where the user (or I) could change this.

Comment

Tell them to go to their MyPrefs menu to change that. It defaults to 1 because a lot of phone browsers have limits on total page size.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X