Performance Tuning Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Tuning Q

My board has been slowing down to an unusable state for the last few months. First we tried moving the database to a dedicated server which didn't seem to help much. This is a large board with 85,000 members.

When I turn debug on in the config file I see pages are being generated in less than 1 second. This should indicate the servers are plenty powerful enough no?

1. I have 19,000 user's awiating email confirmation. Are the email confirmation emails being sent out daily for all these users? Will pruning these users possible help improve performace? If so could someone provide me the SQL to do this safely as using the AdminCP might not be safest.

2. My ISP tells me I have 1.5mbit bandwidth. What are some methods or tests I can use to determine if the problrm is bandwidth related. I am suspecting this may be the problem.

Any other suggestions are quite welcome

I suggest you post in the Server Configuration forum with the info requested in this thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70117
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

You are on a dedicated server, I doubt you can properly test the 10/100 or even higher connection with just 1,5 mbit .. especially as this is probably your downstream and not your upstream.

You're best of running top in the shell to see what the bottleneck is. once you know check out http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70117

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
        You are on a dedicated server, I doubt you can properly test the 10/100 or even higher connection with just 1,5 mbit .. especially as this is probably your downstream and not your upstream.

You're best of running top in the shell to see what the bottleneck is. once you know check out http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70117
        Well currently I am looking at a program called netstat live which shows incoming/outgoing traffic as well as averages. I seem to be doing less than 1mbit/sec. I am going to email my ISP and ask for some bandwidth statistics on my port. It's strange though because from what I have seen Vb uses very little bandwidth (2-3gb/day).

Any answers to my 1st question?

Comment

You're talking about bandw from your own internet connection .. I am talking about the bandw your web site uses which is hosted somewhere else I hope.

Comment

hmm

Originally posted by Floris
            You're talking about bandw from your own internet connection .. I am talking about the bandw your web site uses which is hosted somewhere else I hope.
            Uhhh nope I am looking at bandwidth on the server which is a Win2000 machine...Perhaps that is what confused you.

Anyways I have moved to a server with 3gb of memory and 2x 1.2ghz PIII CPU's. What I really need to know now are my.cnf and php.ini settings for my server spec:

Freebsd 5.4 - release
            apache 2.0.55
            php 5.0.5
            mysql 5.0.15
            gzip enabled in admin
            fulltext search just enabled (was this a bad idea?)

Am anxious to see if all this work will pay off. So far it looks good

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X