Lost all user profile pictures in upgrade from 3.0.7 to 3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost all user profile pictures in upgrade from 3.0.7 to 3.5

I lost all of my user profile pictures in the upgrade from 3.0.7 to 3.5.

Here is an example:
    http://bbs.clubplanet.com/member.php?u=1050

The customprofilepics directory is completely empty.

I did not change any settings, but immediately after the upgrade, the admin showed that "Profile pictures are currently being served from the filesystem at ./customprofilepics" I never changed this though, and I thought 3.0.7 stored these files in the database.

How do I recover these pics?
    -DaVe

Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Unfortunately, that is not the problem at all. The problem is that the "customprofilepics" directory is completely empty. Somewhere in the upgrade process, it switched user profile pics from database storage to file system storage, but never copied the pics into that folder. (potentially because of a permissions issue on that directory?) I never specifed that profilepics be stored in the file system rather than the database - it did that automatically.

My question is, is it possible to recover these old profile pics from a backup of the database and move them into the correct location on the file system?

Thanks.

(I did try the style thing too, and no luck.)
      -DaVe

Comment

Where you storing avatars in the file system? If so, this could very well be a bug in the upgrade. The only way I know to fix this would be to restore the old db, move the avatars back to the database, then redo the upgrade.

Meanwhile I suggest you post this in the 3.5 Bug Tracker so the Devs are aware of this issue.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I was storing avatars in the file system. I'll post in the bug tracking list.
          -DaVe

Comment

Same thing happened to me

Comment

Just a missed announcement

Profile Pictures can now be saved in the file system. If you currently have Custom Avatars stored in the filesystem, you need to move them back to the Database and then move them back out to the filesystem. If you don't do this, your users will need to reupload their profile pictures.

Comment

I have the same exact problem as the poster above. I upgraded from 3.0.5 to 3.5.0 and my database crashes when trying to move them back into the database.
                My database is fairly large and seems to choke under the strain and I have to run a repair to get my site back online after attempting this.

Any suggestions on moving the images before I submit a support ticket. The webhost says just wait until a slower time of the day but it wasn't that busy the first time I tried to move them.

http://www.indiamike.com/india

Comment

This is most likely a server issue. What do you mean it 'crashes'?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve, well it basically crashes the database and I have to run a repair through my websites cpanel to bring it back up. If I run the 'Move Items from File System into Database' the page goes very slow and then stops and dies and the whole site goes offline.

Now keeping in mind my database has been running for over four years and has had many hacks installed and uninstalled, however everything was running fine up until the update to 3.5.0 and then this glitch occurred.

The profile picture usage according to the vbulletin admin panel is 13.62MB so it is quite large and am wondering if it's just because of the sheer volume.

I have toned down the Number of Users to process per cycle to a smaller amount and it still choked and died.

Avatars can be uploaded and changed for users just fine, it's just the profile images that are a problem. The images do not show and cannot be uploaded by users nor are they in the correct folder, it's the same issue as clubplanet below.

Now in the past I did install a 'hack' from vbulletin.org and it was Velocd's VB3 Members Albumand in that hack the following database changes were made to the customprofilepic fields though I am unaware if this would have caused the issue I am facing.

These were the alterations from that hack and there was no uninstall program so the fields are still the same in the database.
                    ALTER TABLE `customprofilepic` ADD thumbnaildata mediumtext NOT NULL AFTER profilepicdata;
                    ALTER TABLE `customprofilepic` ADD comment varchar(255) NOT NULL AFTER filename;
                    ALTER TABLE `customprofilepic` ADD disapproved smallint(5) not null default'0';
                    ALTER TABLE `customprofilepic` ADD reason varchar(100) not null;
                    ALTER TABLE `usertextfield` ADD sigdateline int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0';

ALTER TABLE `customprofilepic` DROP PRIMARY KEY;
                    ALTER TABLE `customprofilepic` ADD picture_id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0' AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY AFTER userid;

Yes, I realize if hacks are installed or were installed the support is null however if you can make a suggestion it would be great since it seems some others were having this problem also.

Restoring from a backup is not an option since my site is to large to backup offline.

Comment

Too large?

Comment

I don't think 13.62MB is too large and would account for this crashing. Heck I've seen 1-2Gb attachment tables moved back and forth without this problem.

One thing you can do is install a test vB 3.0.7 with a new database and look at the customprofilepic table. Then you can alter your existing table to match the default setup.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks again for the reply Steve, yup that may be it. I have installed a test forum and whoa , four years of hacking has left it's mark.

The stock tables seem the same it's just a bunch of extra stuff like thumbnail and description etc........

I will make a backup of that section and starting messing around with it and report back.

Mike

Comment

Just to follow up. I was never able to muscle through this and moving the attachments would just bring down the database. I usually have around 100 people online at all time and I may have just been maxing out my connections.

It just wouldn't move the images and rename them.

On the bright side the custom profile pics now can be successfully added and saved so that works.

On the negative side, I have to either rename all the previousimages I have or just reupload them all.

So it works but the moving back and forth between file system and database did not and killed the datase. The db error emails said I maxed out with connections.

##edit after the fact###

Adding to my initial reply I can upload profile pics but they are all getting converted to gif images, even jpgs are getting converted ..........just confused now.

##last edit##

After walking away from the puter and thinking a bit I actually think the profile images were saved in the database and not in the folders since i am looking at my folder and the photos are all very old (like last year) and those fields that I download as a backup are mighty huge. I am thinking that it says it's being stored in the folder but they are actually in the database hence the failure when switching since they are already there.

My solution will just be to say screw and tell everyone to reupload and I will just flush the whole database out.

Sorry for all the confusion just posting it just in case someone else has the same issue.

Mike
                            Last edited by indiamike; Wed 26th Oct '05, 6:36am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X