retaining login problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retaining login problem

On my site I'm having problems staying logged in. Some other users have reported the same problem. My cookie settings are all correct. It started happeneing when I upgraded to 3.5 gold. The only modifications are google ads. Any ideas? I retain my login to this site perfectly.
    Danny
    My Site ---->www.montrealracing.com

Does it happen when you click a particular link? Do you know how to reproduce the problem or is it just random? Is it maybe an inactivity timeout?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      Does it happen when you click a particular link? Do you know how to reproduce the problem or is it just random? Is it maybe an inactivity timeout?
      It seems to be random. Not every time but if I'm away longer than 5-10 min I need to log back in.
      Danny

Comment

What is your cookie timeout set to? 5-10 minutes perhaps?

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> Time-Out for Cookie

Comment

Mine is set to 900 seconds or 15 min. Would that automatically log me out though? I have a feeling this is one of those issue that cannot be solved and might eventually correct itself. I do appreciate the help however.
          Danny

Comment

It will log you out after 15 minutes unless you have it set to "Remember Me," in which case it will automatically log you back in after having been logged out.

Comment

I have users with this error also. They can be logged out while typing a post. One user is on IE, could it be a corporate firewall issue? Seems wierd.

Comment

Originally posted by mclark2112
                I have users with this error also. They can be logged out while typing a post. One user is on IE, could it be a corporate firewall issue? Seems wierd.
                If the timeout is set to 15 minutes, and if the user takes longer than 15 minutes to type a post (without refreshing or loading any other forum pages in the meantime), then that qualifies as being inactive and they will be logged out.

Comment

what if they are set to remember me? It shouldn't log them out then.

Comment

I've had this problem reported to me, too...

I've had this problem reported to me, too. My cookie timeout is set to 30 minutes.
                    Another Fred

Comment

Originally posted by mclark2112
                      what if they are set to remember me? It shouldn't log them out then.
                      Yes it will, but it will automatically log them in again on their next page load.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                        If the timeout is set to 15 minutes, and if the user takes longer than 15 minutes to type a post (without refreshing or loading any other forum pages in the meantime), then that qualifies as being inactive and they will be logged out.
                        I have my remember me checked and I still am being logged out all the time. Its quite annoying now. I've also noticed it only seems to occur on my forum and not other forums.
                        Danny

Comment

I would say this is generally being caused by users not being aware of the change from 3.0.9 to 3.5.0 with 'Remember Me' not being checked by default. If a user does not check it when they login, they will be logged out if they are idle for 15 minutes (default setting).

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
                            I would say this is generally being caused by users not being aware of the change from 3.0.9 to 3.5.0 with 'Remember Me' not being checked by default. If a user does not check it when they login, they will be logged out if they are idle for 15 minutes (default setting).
                            Nope, it happens to me all the time, and I click on remember me every time. It logs me out routinely. I use firefox. Haven't had a problem with my IE at work, but my home machine, logging out al the time.

Comment