Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TosaInu
    replied
    Took out those two queries in the upgrade script: upgrade finished smoothly in a few minutes.

Leave a comment:

• TosaInu
    replied
    Those unexpected queries have nasty consequences. I don't have the most efficient backup restore tools. It's taking several hours to restore the database.

Those queries aren't that 'important' for the upgrade process. But how important are they for a functioning board? If I manage to upgrade without those queries, is it acceptable to open the board for the public. In other words, can the host fix those queries after say 2 weeks?

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    Originally posted by TosaInu
    I can't see differences in the structure of the post table 3.07-3.5.0. So I'll split some data, upgrade the slimmed down board and then import the table data.
    Well the difference would be the very queries that are causing you problems. If you were to skip them, as the other thread gives instructions on, you should be able to upgrade in the normal manner.

Leave a comment:

• TosaInu
    replied
    I can't see differences in the structure of the post table 3.07-3.5.0. So I'll split some data, upgrade the slimmed down board and then import the table data.

Leave a comment:

• TosaInu
    replied
    Yes, I have a backup.

Leave a comment:

• TosaInu
    replied
    It's going from step 4 to step 5 that causes the problem. The MySQL server is working on the post table then (huge one).

Like I say: the database is too big to execute huge queries fired by PHP.
    What I would, prefer is not the word, do is dump most data from the post table, so it's only 10 MB instead of 100's. A small database is no problem at all for upgrading here. Load the remaining post data in a MySQL database on a local PC and run required queries directly on that. Then import that to the server. Or can a 3.07 post data dump, directly be loaded into a 3.5.0 database?

I manipulated the URL when the MySQL server was finished with those big queries (at least as far as the process manager + 1 min extra wait is accurate). I would think the installer has the big queries at the end of each step?

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    So you don't have a problem with step 4? Your posts above would indicate that you did ?!?

Do you have a backup to restore? If so you should follow the directions in the other thread.

If a step doesn't tell you to continue on, you should not manipulate the url to move forward unless you are sure of what you are doing.

Leave a comment:

• TosaInu
    replied
    I have no idea where it hangs up.

Step 4 is completed, proceed to step 5, the MySQL database works, seems to finish and then the PHP page just hangs.

I skipped to step 6 (boldly assuming that the database finished its job, but that the script just locks). Same with that icon index step, like Bulent Tekcan had, and also hopped to the next step when it seemed that MySQL finished the job.

The install worked like normal for the other steps, but I forgot to remove upgrade.php with the last step, had to go back and now the board can't find the database.

The board can be reached with the 3.07 files. lol
    Last edited by TosaInu; Thu 29 Sep '05, 1:23pm.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    What portion of step 4 are you getting hung up on? Do you have a large number of attachments in the database?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    See if this thread helps:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156335

Leave a comment:

• TosaInu
    replied
    That didn't help Steve Machol. I have step 4 and it won't go to step 5. The MySQL database is busy with some processes and then the scriptpage just hangs in the browser. Should I also just try to hop to step 6?

Is it possible to import data from a 3.07 post table, directly into a 3.5.0 database? I could try to slim down the dump with wordpad, upgrade the much smaller database and then insert the post datadump. It's even possible for me to import the post datadump on my own PC first, run manual queries on that and then import to the server (local PC is stronger and in my 'control' cough )

Leave a comment:

• Bulent Tekcan
    replied
    I'm already change that before upgrade.But my server hang same point...and load high.

Leave a comment:

• RCA
    replied
    Install process will only work without any problems in small-medium size forums. Other boards can need to change timeouts at php.ini or run some queries manually to get a correct upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• TosaInu
    replied
    I'm not an expert with this at all, but my guess is that our SQL/PHP/Apache configurations are too tigh to pull it off. I will try some workarounds though.

And: the test board was also 3.07 located in a different database on the same server (same MySQL/PHP/Apache settings). But that database hardly contained posts. The upgrade went to 3.5.0 gold went smoothly. It's just the big size that's causing trouble when the upgrade script starts working on the database.
    Last edited by TosaInu; Thu 29 Sep '05, 11:47am.

Leave a comment:

• TosaInu
    replied
    It's /vb/install/upgrade_350b1.php?step=4

I have no access to SQL or PHP settings. You mean add that line after
    Code:

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);
    ?

Can I just repeat the step or is the database corrupted now after the failed attempt?

Leave a comment: