Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importing vBulletin settings from another database

Hello,

Before installing vB on a production site, I'd like to set it up correctly on an test server. The production site runs Apache on RedHat, and the test server runs IIS on Windows.

I have performed the following on the test server:

1. Ran ImpEx to import data from an IPB board
    2. Applied the apporiate admin settings
    3. Applied the appropriate usergroup/user permissions
    4. Modified some forum settings/permissions
    4. Performed some template changes

To speed up the installation and setup on the production site without having to repeat all this procedure again, is it possible just to dump the forum database data into the production site? If not, how would you suggest doing this?

Thanks.

Yes, you can backup and restore the database. The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

Backup:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Restore:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Maybe I didn't make it clear, but the test server and the production server have very different settings (one is Windows and the other is Linux). Does the forum database contain any custom information that is not applicable on other locations?

I'm assuming that the only thing I have to change when moving all the files to and importing the database is the "config.php" file to make it point to the correct database and site URL. Is that correct?

Comment

MySQL databases are not OS-specific. You can backup a MySQL database on a Linux server and restore it on a Windows server, and vice versa. It's more important to have the MySQL versions match.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X