"how do I" install VB 3.5 on Windows XP Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "how do I" install VB 3.5 on Windows XP Pro

OK I have done a lot of reading and am new to VB. I purchased a copy about a month ago and have spent 30+ hours trying to configure my XP pro machine to run VB. I would like to use PHP, MySQL ans IIS. I have a generic site running now on my "server". odjfs.net. You should see some generic page.

Could someone please help me or point me to simple step by step instructions on setting up PHP, MySql and IIS so that I can run VB. I dont care if there are lots of ways to do it -- one that works is all I am looking for.

I have a previous post but am getting no where -- PLEASE HELP.

thanks,

Joe

I think there is a thread here somewhere that explains in great detail how you can run vBulletin on Windows XP. Not sure were but I have read it!

Do a quick search for: php apache

Comment

I am not interested in useing apache. I would like to use IIS.

Thanks for the reply. I may choose apache at some point but I have a lot of time invested in iis and it is the only thing that seems to be working.

thanks,

Joe

Comment

Installation on Windows Systems

Source of information - http://in2.php.net/mysql

PHP 4
        The PHP MySQL extension is compiled into PHP.

PHP 5+
        MySQL is no longer enabled by default, so the php_mysql.dll DLL must be enabled inside of php.ini. Also, PHP needs access to the MySQL client library. A file named libmysql.dll is included in the Windows PHP distribution and in order for PHP to talk to MySQL this file needs to be available to the Windows systems PATH. See the FAQ titled "How do I add my PHP directory to the PATH on Windows" for information on how to do this. Although copying libmysql.dll to the Windows system directory also works (because the system directory is by default in the system's PATH), it's not recommended.

As with enabling any PHP extension (such as php_mysql.dll), the PHP directive extension_dir should be set to the directory where the PHP extensions are located. See also the Manual Windows Installation Instructions. An example extension_dir value for PHP 5 is c:\php\ext

Note: If when starting the web server an error similar to the following occurs: "Unable to load dynamic library './php_mysql.dll'", this is because php_mysql.dll and/or libmysql.dll cannot be found by the system.

hope this help....
        TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Dude have this straight ! You are waisting your freakin time with iss, there nothing to it installing apache... all hosting companies runs apache anyways why test VB on a iss crap server...

Here you go, a 2 min guide in installing apache, mysql, php (no settings modifications req.)...

first uninstall iss crap ! Now download this installation kit ApachePhpMysql 1.1 ..., install it and whala !!! Its up and running, now was this so difficult ?

You may continue the vbulletin installation...

This kit installs Apache 2 and PHP 3.4.5 and MySQL 4.0.2
          Last edited by TitanKing; Mon 29th Aug '05, 11:29pm.

Comment

titan

I have a brand new laptop with xp pro on it. I am testing your solution now. I have done so much to my deskotp/server that i prolly needs reimaged. I will let you know in 2 mins.

thanks,

Joe

Comment

ok since I am new to this -- what folder does the "upload" go to for vb.

Comment

ok I got the upload right but now when I go to "mysite"/install/install.php it just opens up as a wordpad document. Obviously something is still wrong with PHP.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Usually, the /htdocs/ folder in your apache directory. I never used that suggested package (I personally use xampp), so I don't know where the path might be. Check to see if c:/program files/<program_name>/apache/htdocs or something alike exists and dump it in there (the correct /htdocs/ folder)
                  Best Regards,
                  Andy Huang

Comment

Assuming you have the file in the right place, make sure apache and mysql are both running. I have no familiarity with that package either (I too use xampp for testing), but the instructions should tell you how to activate the servers. Once you have them running properly, you should be able to get it to execute by going to the proper location in your web browser.

Provided your layout is htdocs/install/install.php, the URL is probably http://localhost/install/install.php (if the servers are on the same machine you're trying to access it from).
                    ~FlareCDE
                    "Reality is nothing, perception is everything."
                    Server Shutdown

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X