Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade from 3.08 to 3.5.0 RC1 (You can't)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from 3.08 to 3.5.0 RC1 (You can't)

Just tried this and it would appear there's no upgrade path available - I shouldn't be surprised as 3.5.0 RC1 was available before 3.08 !! However might serve as a warning to anyone else that tries to do this. It will fail.

3.0.8 > 3.5.0 RC1 (yes you can!)

Why not? I just did it with no problems what soever.

Since there were no db structure changes, simple use install/upgrade_307.php and it should work seemlessly.

Comment

1. Backup your 3.0.8 database
      2. Upload the 3.5.0 files
      3. Copy your ccurrent config.php file to config.php.old
      4. Copy the 3.5.0 config.php.new files to config.php
      5. Edit this file with the appropriate details
      6. Run install/upgrade.php
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

There real issue I had with the upgrade is that for most of the upgrade, there was no theme. But everything worked SQL and file structure wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Yes Steve thats exactly what I did - but when you try to do the upgrade it says "Your vBulletin (3.0.8) does not appear to be running the version that was downloaded (3.5.0 Release Candidate 1)." I'm guessing its because 3.0.8 isn't catered for in the 3.5.0 upgrade files.

Comment

Okay, I checked this out and confirmed the problem. Please report this in the Bug Tracker so a Dev can look at it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Here's a quick fix. Edit install/upgrade_350b1.php and change this line:

define('PREV_VERSION', '3.0.7');

to this:

define('PREV_VERSION', '3.0.8');

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                I wouldn't do that (.3), for most default configs .old file will be readable and your mysql user/pass and info will be public for anyone that try to access it. Rename it if you want to config.old.php instead.

(Same goes for config.php.new, would be better config.new.php ... this is a thing vbulletin should fix directly sometime)

Comment

How is config.php.old or config.php.new readable? I just checked these on my test server and they aren't.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

with default apache config, pointing to: /forum/includes/config.php.new will show file content, and some people on first install edit it by error and upload it without renaming.

Comment

I have the default config and it's not happening on my server. What is the specific configuration that would do this?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

.new or .old extensions are accesible by default in a non protected directory

Comment

Originally posted by RCA
                          I concur, most peoples apaches will assume plain text and spit out a file with an extension the server doesn't know about. It would be better to mv config.php to config.old.php, or to move it out of the document root.
                          Kyle Christensen
                          PbNation.com - one of the biggest and busiest vbulletin forums on the net!

Comment

Originally posted by RCA
                            Please provide these default settings that cause this. As I said I am running with the defaults and this is not happening on my server.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Are you running apache default httpd.conf without any .htaccess extra file?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X