Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 15 seconds exceeded...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 15 seconds exceeded...

As an admin I've occassionally come across this error when posting a new thread and now a user is also complaining about it...

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 15 seconds exceeded in /home/dans/www/herogame/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 2626

The actual number at the end seems to change from attempt to attempt, but the basic message stays the same.
    I usually resolved the issue by waiting a while or posting the thread in a different forum and then moving it. This only happens once in a while for me in one specific forum. It is now happening constantly in a different forum for the user that is complaining.

Is there anything to be done to fix this?

Thanks!

That's an extremely low setting (15). You or your host need to increase the max_execution_time setting in php.ini. This should be no less than 30, and 60 would be even better.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Host here.

What queries/updates do you run (spawned by the users -- administrative functions may obviously take longer) which would take more than 15 seconds on a decent server?

Comment

I don't have a list of such queries. I do know that 15 seconds is exrtremely low (the PHP default is twice this) and the actual time is dependent on the server itself and how busy it is.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have never seen any (non-admin) page take more than 5 seconds to process on the server side. Frankly, I'd be rather upset about any page that _could_ take as much as 15 seconds to process on the server...that's a prime target for DoS attack (step 1: identify the page that takes 20 seconds of server processing time, step 2: launch hundreds-thousands of simultaneous requests for that page).

Comment

Okay. I was just trying to help our customer. Clearly he has a problem with the 15 seconds setting. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do from our end to fix this.

If it helps, Line 2626 of the class_core.php file is accessing the error handler:

function vb_error_handler($errno, $errstr, $errfile, $errline)

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Well...I would like to see this working as well....but the answer of "common user functions such as posting may require more than 15 seconds of server processing time" is simply not acceptable. I'm running a dual Xeon 3.2 GHz server with 3GB of DDR RAM. The site that hosts the forums is the main site on the server and the forums are responsible for the bulk of the load that the server experiences.

If you can point me to the reason why the posting of a simple (short, no attachments) thread would take more than 15 seconds, I will gladly look into things on my end....but simply saying that the timeout should be raised is not an acceptable answer (in my opinion).

Comment

I'm not a programmer and can't answer your questions. I suspect that the PHP default is 30 seconds for a reason. I also have honestly never run into a host that has changed this to half the default setting.

Unfortunately it's up to you to correct this. There is nothing we can do from our end to fix this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Where should I post to get a programmer involved?

There is something you can do from your end: find why posting a simple thread would take more than 15 seconds of server processing time. It's a major problem with the software, if that is something to be expected. The fix for it should not be to toss more time at the process, the fix should be to identify the bottleneck in the process and adjust the code to alleviate it.

Comment

I should also note that this only happens for a specific user -- again pointing away from a server setting.

Whenever the user tries to post a test thread to the forum in question, he receives the error.

When I go to the forum in question, I am able to post a test thread without any problems at all.

Comment

What other line numbers have you seen and what version of 3.5 are you using? Do you have similar threads enabled? If so, does turning it off help?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Simon
                        I should also note that this only happens for a specific user -- again pointing away from a server setting.

Whenever the user tries to post a test thread to the forum in question, he receives the error.

When I go to the forum in question, I am able to post a test thread without any problems at all.
                        And if you log in as that user, does the problem persist?
                        vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
                          What other line numbers have you seen and what version of 3.5 are you using? Do you have similar threads enabled? If so, does turning it off help?