Mass Email/ Generating a mailing list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Email/ Generating a mailing list

I had a really old version of vbulletin and just upgraded to 3.0.7. From my old site i have approximately 10,000 email addresses of former members saved as a text file. This site has been shut down for 2 years but i wanted to send a mass email to all old members through the new vbulletin and announce the reopening of my site. How do i add these email addresses to the new site so that i can send out a email in hopes that even a small percentage of my old members will come back and visit the new site?

Thanks

Ed

Why don't you upgrade? Which version of vB were you running?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If the file you have contains only email addresses, it might make more sense to send out an email via a mailing list manager.
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

I just signed up with Vbulletin a few days ago

The older version i was running was one from back in 1998 or so dont remember maybe even a earlier version 1.7 or something dont remember it was one we built on to etc.

Anyway this version i havenow is what they put me on I just signed up a not even a week ago should they have set me up on a newer version?

Next can someone give me step by step instructions or instructions in laymens terms (im am very new to this version) on how to add these email addresses in so that i can send out a email to all former members.

Thanks

Ed

Comment

how do i get to this

Originally posted by Colin F
          If the file you have contains only email addresses, it might make more sense to send out an email via a mailing list manager.
          also how do i go about doing this I am not familiar at all.

Thanks

Ed

Comment

You'd have to install a mailing list.

If you have cpanel on your server you should be able to install one using fantastico.
            There you should be able to import the text file and email all your users.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Comment

what if i have user names

along with email adresses from the old site? I have a friend who set everything up for me. I told him to delete the old list of users because the site had been down for 2.5 years and most would probably not be using the same email address or remember their passwords etc. Woudl it be easier to move the entire list of users with user names to the new version? Then send it that way? i just dont want a bunch of inactive user names in the data base i guess is what im trying to stay away from also.

Thanks again you have been very helpful

Ed

Comment

You could probably import a list of users into vBulletin, but it depends on what format your list has and what information is stored in it.

You could use ImpEx to do that.
                Best Regards
                Colin Frei

Comment

backup DB
                  impex to import all users
                  Send out email you wanna send
                  Revert database from backup

Seems a long way to do it I know, but if you want to avoid 10,000 inactive users then that would be the way to go in my opinion.... Personally though I would say move all the members over and keep em there... even if you have loads of inactive users, it will ensure that people do not have to sign up again which is a good initiative for a lazy user to come back and post. Plus it looks good on a forum having 10k+ members onboard. You can always prune the zero posters in a month or so if needed
                  Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X