Splitting threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting threads

I searched for an answer but found none.

How do I split a thread in 3.5??? In 3.0.7 there's a Split Thread option in the Thread Tools drop-down. Where did it go?
    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

In the upper right of each post, there's a small checkbox. Click it as well as any other posts' that you also want to split. Then scroll down to the "Moderation" drop down at the end of the thread and use the split option.
    Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

Thank you.
      ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

I have version 3.5.0 B³ and I don't see it. can you show an image, please?

Comment

Sure:

Click image for larger version

Name:	clickhere.png
Views:	1
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	3666878

Comment

Thank you.

That leaves no doubt. How do I turn that on? I don't have it.

On second thought, I just discovered, it is not a part of the Legacy Postbit which is what I use to limit the width of the posted texts. I shall have to add that html code to the LP to obtain it.
            Still, with the checkbox now visible I still do not see the split option in the dropdown menu.

Any suggestions?

Pol.
            Last edited by Polinco; Tue 5th Jul '05, 7:50am.

Comment

Have you reverted all your custom templates? This would be the cause of it not showing up. And you select it from the menu called Moderation at the end of the thread, which is visible in that screen shot.

Comment

I get this even in the default style. I had the Legacy postbit enabled and went back to the new style postbit. The check box appears but the split option is notoriously absent from the drop-down menu.

I did a clean install of Vb 3.5.0 β3 but used the old database of 3.0.3.
                I went through all the upgrades 3.04, 3.05, 3.06, 3.07, 3.50β1, 3.50β2, 3.50β3, the current one.

Included is an image of the dropdown menu. Any other ideas?

Pol
                Attached Files

Comment

You click on the box (upper right hand corner) of the post you want to split and use the 'Move' option.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    You click on the box (upper right hand corner) of the post you want to split and use the 'Move' option.
                    I'm just testing out the 3.5 gold and I got the same problem. The solution you give above does not sound like a "split thread" solution, but a "move post(s)" tip. One needs to be able to pinpoint a post in threaded mode and choose a split task knowning that the system will move all childposts as well.

I can emulate this behaviour by swapping bewteen liniear mode and threaded mode and remembering post id's, but this is a pain.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Not sure I understand your question. You can choose the posts you want to move, then move then to a new thread or an existing thread. This is equivalent to splitting.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Not sure I understand your question. You can choose the posts you want to move, then move then to a new thread or an existing thread. This is equivalent to splitting.
                        Not really. As I see it, its equivalent to manual labour. Consider this thread:

p1
                        -p2
                        --p3
                        --p4
                        ---p6
                        ----p7
                        -----p9
                        ---p8
                        --p5

Now, If I want to split the p4 sub-thread out into a thread of its own i have to - as I currently understand it - mark and move p4,p6,p7 and p9. For a bigger sub-thread the same job would require even more vigilance with a great chance that you f-up both the souce and the destination.

It would be much less of a hassle to just pick p4 and let the system do the unraveling by providing a real split function, instead of emulating it with a series of moves that are almost bound to go wrong in bigger threads.

Comment

Okay. I don't quite follow that, but the moving function in 3.5.0 does everything thast 3.0 did and more. You are free to post a suggestion in the 3.5 Suggestions forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Okay. I don't quite follow that, but the moving function in 3.5.0 does everything thast 3.0 did and more. You are free to post a suggestion in the 3.5 Suggestions forum.
                            Thanks. I might do that.

The reason, I think, is obvious.

A copy function can do everything the xcopy function does. Still, nobody would choose copy to do the xcopy's job, just as I would not choose a move function to do a split (xmove) function's job.

The morale? Even though a complex operation can be split into simpler constituents, this does not mean that you, given a choice, would actually prefer to work this way
                            Last edited by void; Sat 1st Oct '05, 3:16pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X