Private Message Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Message Problem

All of a sudden almost all of the PM's are showing up as shown in the attachment ive included. There are very few Pm's that still show up and I have not changed anything on the DB or any files/ templates.

Ive tried to repair/optimize all pm tables in the database and that didnt correct the problem. Any other suggestions would be great.
    Attached Files

vB version? New install or upgrade? Have you installed any hacks or new skins? Something like this doesn't just happen without some change being made.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      vB version? New install or upgrade? Have you installed any hacks or new skins? Something like this doesn't just happen without some change being made.
      I guess a little bit of info would help. Im running VB3 RC4. Ive upgraded from 2.29 to gamma then not to long ago i upgraded to RC4. THe upgrade went smooth and had no problems.

The last couple of weeks we've been experience small server issues. Then yesterday the postindex table corrupted and my host helped take care of that issue. Today i got online and noticed that the PM's were now looking like that.

I have not installed any new hacks or skins. The only template changes ive made were very minor to the postbit templates nothing to do w/ PM system. And i made those changes long before this problem occurred.

Comment

Is this a problem that everyone is experiencing? I only ask because missing thread links (a problem similar to your PM problem) are often caused by ad blocking programs that filter web page content.

Try reproducing this problem on another computer. Uninstall any internet content filtering programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
          Is this a problem that everyone is experiencing? I only ask because missing thread links (a problem similar to your PM problem) are often caused by ad blocking programs that filter web page content.

Try reproducing this problem on another computer. Uninstall any internet content filtering programs.
          Oh i know its reproducable. My members are all complaining about it .

Comment

Originally posted by matthepepe

The last couple of weeks we've been experience small server issues. Then yesterday the postindex table corrupted and my host helped take care of that issue. Today i got online and noticed that the PM's were now looking like that.

Server issues, table corruption, and now odd forum behavior. It's not outside the realm of possibility that something is going on with your server. You should ask your host if anything has recently changed on their end.

Troubleshooting the vBulletin side of things means uninstalling your hacks, uploading fresh PHP files, and creating a new default style on which to try and reproduce the problem.

Comment

Well i dont have any hacks installed and after a new default style and fresh files. Im looking at the same problem. Ive narrowed it down though to the older PM's. Any PM I send now comes through fine. Also i noticed on a test user that i have pm's back to january 6th that show up but everything before that is blank as well w/ the funky date.

Im beginning to think my PM table is now corrupted possibly. But when i go in and physically look at it, i can view the information fine and its all there.

Comment

When you ran repair, did all the tables come back okay?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

yes it did and i just rna it again to make sure.

Comment

I did notice this though

Evrey table read like check: OK and optimize OK but the pmtext read like this

pmtext Check Status: OK
                    pmtext Optimize Status: Table is already up to date

Comment

Try this. Create a new style with no parent style. This will use the default templates. Then view PMs with that style. Do you stilll have this same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

ya same issue. keep in mind that some of the pm's show up. If it was a template issue wouldnt all pm's be showing up like that.

Comment

I am looking at the vB3 RC4 database structure. Every PM has an entry in the pm table as well as in the pmtext table. The pmtext record contains the content including the PM's title and message.

I was able to create your problem on my test forum by deleting a PM's record from the pmtext table. I suspect there is a problem with your pmtext table... either your old PMs are missing their pmtext records or the pmtextid's aren't matching up between the two tables. I would need to look at your database to see which problem it is. In either case, I don't think the problem can be fixed. If the records are missing then the PMs are basically gone. If the pmtextid's are mismatched then I don't know how we could know which records go with which PMs.

Restoring those two tables from a backup might be in order.

Comment

whats really odd is the ID's are matching up in the database. And pm's i thought had been deleted are still in the DB in both pm and pmtext tables.

Although it looks lke the pm's listed in your inbox are pulled from pmreceipt.

Comment

Ive tried to run the myisamchk on the 3 pm tables, but that didnt do me any good either.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X