Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Links to individual forums from web page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Links to individual forums from web page?

I plan to use my front end webpage to group the different forums inside my vbulletin, with drop down menus pointing to the various sections within the board itself. This way, visitors can go straight to forum of their choice without the need to go to the index.php page. Hope this makes sense So does this seem practical, and has anyone else gone this route? Or am I better just using the webpage as a nice doorway.
    I also plan to put a counter on this webpage, but what springs to mind is when people "bookmark" say at a forum. When they come back they will bypass my webpage and counter! How can I make them always come through my webpage front door? Oh, and will the page actually be a bottleneck? Have heard the portals suffer from this, although I don't really know what the difference between the two are. Thanks.

This requires custom code. I recommend posting on www.vbulletin.org , the official vB hacking site.

As for requiring users to go through your portal first... you could setup a redirect based on the HTTP_REFERER or even the window/frame name.

By "bottleneck" are you refering to server load? Poorly written portals can have this problem, as can any script.

Comment

This requires custom code. I recommend posting on www.vbulletin.org , the official vB hacking site.
      If that's the case, at this stage I'll think I'll leave well alone.

As for requiring users to go through your portal first... you could setup a redirect based on the HTTP_REFERER or even the window/frame name
      Whoo, I'm going to have to look that up Would this method slow things down? I'm asking this because I'm thinking of going to HostRocket from my UK host, and there may be some latency issues I'll have to put up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Rains
        If that's the case, at this stage I'll think I'll leave well alone.
        The portal would be its own script. This is the case with any external vB add-on. That's what I mean by "custom code."

Originally posted by Rains
        Whoo, I'm going to have to look that up Would this method slow things down? I'm asking this because I'm thinking of going to HostRocket from my UK host, and there may be some latency issues I'll have to put up with.
        The check would be a very small amount of code. It wouldn't slow things down.

Comment

Thanks for that. Tell you, this forum business has a steep learning curve. Think I'm getting there, but oh so slowly. Gotta go, I have have another ball in the air that requires a new thread. Had a look in the other threads but can't see the ansewer. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
          X