Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I: Display more than two levels on Forum Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I: Display more than two levels on Forum Home?

Version is VB3RC4.

I changed the Forum Listings Display Options to show 3 levels (Depth of Forums - Forum Home = 3) which is the number of levels I've created, but my Forum Home still shows only 2 levels. For example, here is my forum layout

Catagory
    - Sub Catagory
    -- Forum 1
    -- Forum 2

With "Depth of Forums - Forum Home" set to 2 or higher I see the following which is correct for 2, but incorrect for higher than 2:

Catagory
    - Sub Catagory

With "Depth of Forums - Forum Home" set to 2 and "Depth of Sub Forums" set to 1 I see the following which is correct:

Catagory
    - Sub Catagory (Forum 1, Forum 2)

With "Depth of Forums - Forum Home" set to 3 or higher and "Depth of Sub Forums" set to 1 I see the following which is incorrect, same reason as above (not showing the 3rd level):

Catagory
    - Sub Catagory

The "Depth of Forums - Forum Home" works fine if set to 1 or 2, but appears to be broken above level 2? I looked in my user options thinking perhaps there was a user preference overriding this setting but I see no option in my User Options for forum depth on the home page.

Is this a bug or am I just missing another setting which is overriding the setting to show 3 or more levels? See attached screenshots which might help?

One shows the following settings (this works correctly):
    Depth of Forums - Forum Home = 2
    Depth of Sub-Forums = 1

The second shows the following settings (this appears to be broken?)
    Depth of Forums - Forum Home = 3 (or higher, doesn't seem to matter)
    Depth of Sub-Forums = 0 (or 1, doesn't seem to matter)

Btw "Depth of Forums - Forum Display" is set to 2 (anything higher makes no difference) so I also attached a screenshot which verifies that this part is working fine. It's the Forum Home that appears limited to only two levels.

Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ericruhl; Sun 15 Feb '04, 12:37pm.

Admin Control Panel
    Options
    vBulletin Options
    Forum Listings Display Options
    Depth of Forums - Forum Home : 2
    Depth of Forums - Forum Display : 2
    Depth of Sub-Forums : 1
    [save]

I think that should do the trick.

Comment

Those settings are shown in the first attached photo (Depth2_SubDepth1.jpg). That works fine. The problem occurs when I try to display a depth of 3 (Catagory, Sub-Catagory, Forum). No matter what I do it won't display beyond level 2 on the forum home (the exception being the settings you posted which , as shown in the image, gives you the condensed list). See the third attachment, I'm trying to get that expanded forum view on the forum home (with the collapse/expand option for the sub-catagories). As I understand it this is what should happen when I set the depth to 3, but it isn't working that way.

These are the settings in the second attachment (Depth3_SubDepth0.jpg):
      Depth of Forums - Forum Home : 3
      Depth of Sub-Forums : 0

But you can see that only the top two levels are showing up
      Last edited by ericruhl; Sun 15 Feb '04, 1:53pm.

Comment

Also, how do I properly edit the subject line? I edited the subject in my initial post but the edit isn't reflected in the forum summary.

Comment

Figured out the subject line deal, that's time-limited.

Still looking for confirmation on whether the depth display on Forum Home is a bug or not. Can anyone display more than 2 levels with RC4? Again my forum depth is 3 levels but Forum Home won't display more than 2 levels even though the control panel setting is set to 3 (higher makes no difference).

Edit:
          OK, I found the answer in the bug tracker. This is a known issue unfortunately it is not going to be fixed Here's the relevant bug ID for those who experience this same issue and find this discussion:
          http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/bugs....iew&bugid=1157

I'm off to learn how to make my own level 3 template If anyone has created one already, please share.
          Last edited by ericruhl; Mon 16 Feb '04, 10:57am. Reason: Added updated info

Comment

Originally posted by floris
            Admin Control Panel
            Options
            vBulletin Options
            Forum Listings Display Options
            Depth of Forums - Forum Home : 2
            Depth of Sub-Forums : 1
            [save]

I think that should do the trick.
            Would it be possible for one to set this on a per forum basis??

Comment

This would require hacking. Try asking over at vbulletin.org.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X