Breaking up navbar and breadcrumb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking up navbar and breadcrumb?

I am making a style for vB3 RC3, and I am having a problem with the navbar templates.

I want to display the navigation part

eg:
    vBulletin Community Forum > vBulletin 3 > vBulletin 3 'How Do I' Questions
    Post New Thread

in the header template, and the login part somewhere else, lets say forum home template. And I want to delete the default dropdown menu and use my own. When I tried to do it the ovious way, which was to take parts from navbar template and places that I want it to appear, but didnt work.

Then I tried modifying the navbar template, and display it on the header using the $navbar variable, still it doesnt show up.

Any ideas? thanks.
    Last edited by MatrixGL; Sat 7th Feb '04, 9:23pm.
    GamerzLive.com - Your ultimate site for everything related to gaming. Forums.
    Random Forum - Random Forums :D
    dSIGN2.com - Designing your dream websites (Coming Soon!)
    Trenzhost.com - FREE Image Host!
    SickString.com - Sick String Clothing Lineup (Coming Soon!)

The breadcrumb ( vBulletin Community Forum > vBulletin 3 > vBulletin 3 'How Do I' Questions ) is not evaluated for the header. The header is evaluated before all the information is known for this. What you want to do in this regard requires some pretty strong hacking which involves every file on the front-end.

For the rest, you can delete and/or change those pieces using HTML in the navbar template.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks for your reply! Do you know which pieces of code I have to edit for this? Or do I just have to change the order of the codes?

And in the future versions, is there any chance that the ability to use breadcrumb in the header would be inclueded with the release?

Comment

You will have to add a major portion to the global.php file to determine where you are and what you are doing. The code for this is spread throughout every single fine in the frontend.

It is doubtful that this would be done as a standard feature because it imposes technical limitations on the breadcrumb and condenses the files too much.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

But doesnt it limit the freedom of a designer? I mean I used to be able to pretty much change vB2's look in anyway I wanted, and now seems like theres nothing much I can do to the breadcrumb and nav bar.

Comment

Matrix, I know the feeling, when I first encountered this new navigation system, I thought "what the hell?" because I would have to completely re-write it each time I wanted a specific navigation sequence. However, this new navigation system is optimized and works specifically with this system of software, if you "must" have a new navigational system, wait till the documentation for Gold comes out and you should be able to come up with a work around, in terms of editing what files and such.

I know it's a pain but, such is the way of progress...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X