vb hacks... can it ruin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vb hacks... can it ruin?

Alright, not sure if this goes in this forum let alone this entire forum, maybe I should be asking at vbulletin.org, but anyways... if i install a hack could it hurt me when it's time to upgrade to a new verision of vb?

i am new to hacks so before i install a hack i wanna make sure i wont have problems when it's time to upgrade.

Not likely to hurt much, but it depends how many hacks you have installed. What it may be though is time consuming as you may need to re-install all the hacks after an upgrade if VB recommends all files are replaced.

The best thing to do is write a list of exactly what files you change for what hacks and make back ups of all the hacks in templates and wot not, that way it will at least minimize the work and effort needed to reinstall them all.

I've found most of the hacks are pretty simple anyway and can be re-done in a few minutes, but if your unsure, it might be best to wait till Gold is released.
    www.totalformat.com The entertainment portal, games, music, movies, sport and all areas of entertainment.

Comment

You should also invest in a good file comparison tool... Two we recommend are Araxis Merge and Beyond Compare.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

some may hurt. I was looking at one hack that removes attachments from the database and it will make upgrading impossible i believe. so to be safe, ask the author, but most of the time, they are just cosmetic changes. The heart of your forums is the database. It's when you make changes to your DB that you need to be scared.

Comment

Keep in mind that if you apply hacks you will not be eligible for official support since we cannot support forums running code we didn't write. Also you will need to reaply those hacks every time you upgrade.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

One last question.. vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org.. does this company own that company, or are they two seprate companies?

Comment

vBulletin,.org is a semi-official site. We provide server space and access to the licensed member system to verify the license status of people downloading hacks, but other than that we don't have much direct involvement in running that site.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X