Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot get Email notification to work, but the test will send?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get Email notification to work, but the test will send?

I've tried several things to fix my problem.
    I cant get email notification to work. lost it as soon as I went from beta to gamma, now have RC3.
    The test email will work, sends real fast. but cant get the notification or teh sign up or retrieve lost password, or well antyhing like that to work.
    I can see where the test logs on the server, but NO other logs from all the email notification that should be sent.
    tried reinstalling the mail client.. nothing.

Is there a certain email client that has to be used or something?

all aother mail on the server sends without a problem, jsut the froum created stuff it seems... but the test still sends.

I've posted this befor and not gotten much or any help. so I'm hoping that I can get it fixed this time.

You will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

mail logs have no record of any such requests, I can see all other mail, ie [email protected] and I can even see the test one.

NO other entries, so there is no log to see what happens because well they dont make it take far.

When it was working I got the odd bounce too, but once i went to gamma.... nothing...

Comment

Same problem here nothing in the logs either.

Comment

on a maybe realated problem the boards real slow, but the rest of the site is still fast, and the site is PHP too.
          Like takes forever to load, have to hit refreash multiply times etc

Comment

Man this sucks, I want it fixed.

and damn does it ever go SLOW

Comment

Did you run the email diagnostics? If so, what were the results?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                Did you run the email diagnostics? If so, what were the results?
                yes to about every email I could think of, results always the same.

SMTP:localhostsendmail_from:Nonesendmail_path:/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

The None is all I can think of but every email sent was recieved.
                and recieved VERY fast

Comment

Have you tried using this with one of the email addresses that is not getting those emails?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    Have you tried using this with one of the email addresses that is not getting those emails?
                    yes, I have.

I dont get notification, but get the test,
                    all my mods dont get notification, but get the test,
                    8-10 other users that I tested with dont get notification, but got the test.

everything from @domains.com to @hotmail.com to @lycos.com to @schoolname.edu to @yahoo.com to emails that the server processes...
                    every single test was recieved.

Its beond me

Comment

Originally posted by Xride
                      yes, I have.

I dont get notification, but get the test,
                      all my mods dont get notification, but get the test,
                      8-10 other users that I tested with dont get notification, but got the test.

everything from @domains.com to @hotmail.com to @lycos.com to @schoolname.edu to @yahoo.com to emails that the server processes...
                      every single test was recieved.

Its beond me
                      Same here and i hired a linux guru to check all possible problems with the server and nothing every thing is working fine
                      i also have another board i host with the same problem.

Comment

@hotmail.com bounced too much on my site too. I am starting to believe that the forum reply emails have triggered their spam filter and that they are considered spam.

Comment

Originally posted by sinclac
                          Same here and i hired a linux guru to check all possible problems with the server and nothing every thing is working fine
                          i also have another board i host with the same problem.
                          Well its gotta be something right?

I jsut dont get it, and well it sucks.

Arggg.

How can I move my board from one host to another?

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Well Its not a hardware problem, changed out the server and its still the same.

NO automated email, no log if it on the server.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X