Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with vB3.0 / Indexu31 Integration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with vB3.0 / Indexu31 Integration...

Hello, I've been spending part-time for a couple of months now installing, cleaning up, customizing and integrating my copies of vB3 and Indexu31 so they share vB3's member database under vBulletin v3 (now RC3). I'm actually very close to having it all working but have encountered a problem I thought someone here might be able to assist with.

So far, I've managed to accomplish the following things:

First, I made a few very minor changes to indexu's msg.php to convince it to call Jelsoft's new vbulletin/login.php utility rather than the Indexu one. This worked fine and I'm now able to invoke the vB3.0 login from IndexU and log-in successfully from either indexu or vB3.0. In short, logins work reliably from either program.

Next, I modified vBulletin's new vbulletin/login.php utility (hust four lines were change) to add calls to Indexu's program vbulletin/idx_functions.php which set the indexu cookies on login and reset them on logout. Once I did that, I was able to login from either program's main screen and still be logged in in the other program when I transfered control to it. In most (but not all) cases, I could also logout reliably too.

So far, so good!

As I've said, logout works much the same. Most of the time I can successfully logout from either indexu or vBulletin and it will log me out in both applications. But there are cases where this does not work correctly from the indexu side and I suspect they may related to my other problem (see below). In some cases (I haven't figured out exactly which ones) logout gets called from indexu and the vBulletin logout is successful; but when control is returned to indexu, the program doesn't realize a vbulletin logout has occurred. Usually when this happens if I just end the browser session and start a new one, indexu now "realizes" a logout has taken place and everything is fine again. In other cases Indexu stubbornly refuses to recognize that logout ever took place and the only way I can solve that is to delete my cookies to force things back to normal again. This seems to be an issue in the way I.E. handles cookies in certain situations; but I haven't figured out yet exactly what combination of circumstances causes logout to fail.

The other problem I'm having is more fundamental...

Once I had the login and logout working correctly most of the time, I went on to try to implement the rest of the patches Indexu developed to integrate indexu with vb 2.3.0 last year.

First, I installed their new version of indexu/login.php and was able to configure it (together with their new vb_config.php) so that it knows how to talk to VB3. Later, I verified step-by-step that when a user clicks the "My Account" link on the Indexu main menu, control is passed to indexu/cp/index.php which in turn invokes Indexu's rewritten indexu/login.php.

After that, indexu/login.php passes control to Indexu's new vbulletin/idx_login.php module. This module is designed to verify that the user is still logged in and LOTS of the indexu programs call it.

I even created a test version of vbulletin/idx_login.php to prove that control actually gets to this program and that it works well enough to successfully return control to indexu/hot.php after it verifies the user is still logged in. I made those changes and conducted my tests because what I found is that whenever vbulletin/idx_login.php tries to pass control back to indexu/cp/index.php after it verifies the user is logged-in, it fails every time!

The error I get when vbulletin/idx_login.php tries to pass control back to indexu/cp/index.php varies slightly (but ominously). The first time I try clicking on "My Account" in a fresh browser session, it gives me a 404-error that reads:

http://domainname.com/indexu31/cp/?PHPSESSID=55bb10415664ac3

The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

etc...
    After that, each time I try to do the same thing in the same browser session, I get a different error:

http://www.sissyland.com/indexu31/cp/

The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

etc...
    Notice here that in subsequent invocations the PHP session-id vanishes! I suspect this may be because something on the vB3 side kills the PHP session. But it could be the 404-error that causes this.

I've examined this problem very carefully and I even compared the vb3.0 version of vbulletin/globals.php with the earlier vb2.3.4 version of the same program and concluded the most likely cause of this failure to return control to indexu/cp/index.php is somewhere in the changes Jelsoft made to the vbulletin/globals.php program for vb3.0. However, I'm at a loss as to what to do about that and was hoping someone here might be able to help me.

The bottom line is I've managed to get 95% of the linkage between indexu and vbulletin 3.0 working but I've hit a wall with this problem and have nowhere to turn. If anyone here is willing to look into this, I'd be grateful for your help! I've wasted many hours on this but am unable to make further progress. And I simply cannot convert my links database to indexu or roll indexu out to my users until I know it works successfully sharing vb3's member database.

If anyone here is willing to help with this, I'd be happy to pay for your time if the cost is reasonable. I'm so darn close I can almost taste success! But without the login verification working as it should, there seems to be nothing else I can do.

You can see this problem and my hack in its current state right NOW on my site. [CONTENT WARNING: It's an ADULT site; but no offensive materials appear on the two pages you'll need to visit.] If you go to http://sissyland.com/indexu31 you can use the registration link there to register and it will use the vB3 registration program as it should. Because the integration between vB3 and Indexu is not yet fully working, I haven't yet linked the two programs from their home pages. So, to access my forums, go to: http://sissyland.com/forums and confirm that once you've logged in from indexu31's home page you are automatically logged-in under vBulletin and vice versa. The changes work the same way for log out. You should be able to login or logout from either program and the other program will automatically "know" you are logged in. But right now, if you click on the [MY ACCOUNT] link, you'll get indexu's HOT LINKS page instead of the 404 error page I described above. That is intentional. I deliberately modified idx_login.php to call the hotlinks page RATHER than calling indexu31/cp/index.php to prove that program control is actually GETTING that far! Otherwise, it looks like the [MY ACCOUNT] is failing as soon as you click on it.

It's worth pointing out that Indexu used a recursive call to make this all work. In this case program A (indexu31/cp/index.php) calls program B (indexu31/login.php) which calls program C (vb3_forums/idx_login.php) to verify that the user is logged in. Then program C calls program A again (indexu31/cp/index.php). It's that LAST call that is failing. The fact that you receive indexu's hot links screen is positive proof of that.

I'm prepared to pay a reasonable programming fee to an experienced PHP developer who can make this work as it should. Are YOU that programmer?

Thanks for listening! I look forward to hearing from you.
    Last edited by websissy; Fri 30 Jan '04, 2:59pm.

Not to spoil the fun, but this site doens't support source code hacking, and it doesn't support third party software integration. If the addon gives issues, contact the author from that software - so he can fix/update his work.

You are best of getting source code hacking help support on vbulletin.org

Comment

Is this a HACK or is it an Installation question??

Dear Floris:

Not to be insolent or disagreeable here, but I believe I made it quite clear both in what I've said and in where I've posted this message that I'm either looking for advice on how to proceed or the help of a knowledgeable expert with what I see as an installation issue. I've made it this far on my own and as a 35 year software pro myself, I definitely DO consider the ability to seamlessly integrate applications like this on a single website with minimal impact on each product to be among the most common installation dilemmas webmasters face with such products. And yes, that especially includes the incredibly capable and remarkably sophisticated vB3.0 because it will clearly be an industry leader for the next several years.

To actively censor the raising of such questions here would be tantamount to saying Jelsoft doesn't care about the installation issues its customers face. I really don't believe that's true! Do you?

I also tried to make it clear the changes required to vBulletin to make this integration work were virtually non-existent... involving just 3 new lines in login.php to convince it to call a single-purpose external routine that sets and resets the cookies of the other product.

I'm obviously looking for advice on how to proceed here and I'm firmly convinced there's no community in the world better equipped to offer advice and assistance on how to achieve my goals than the general community of vB users that exists on this site.

Furthermore, there are likely to be dozens if not hundreds of webmasters who may be interested in either obtaining and using this solution down the road or in mimicing the techniques I've used to integrate other applications with vBulletin. All I'm doing here is seeking the thoughts and suggestions of the general community on possible alternate ways to resolve to my dilemma.

Surely THAT is one of the primary goals and purposes of these forums!

Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions. That's all I'm really looking for here! Oh, and just for the record, I did also post this question on vBulleting.org! GMTA, Floris...

Comment

Actually Floris is correct. We don't provide support for hacks or integration with non-vB scripts on these forums. The best place to get this help is at vbuletin.org.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by websissy
          Dear Floris:

Not to be insolent or disagreeable here, but I believe I made it quite clear both in what I've said and in where I've posted this message that I'm either looking for advice on how to proceed or the help of a knowledgeable expert with what I see as an installation issue. I've made it this far on my own and as a 35 year software pro myself, I definitely DO consider the ability to seamlessly integrate applications like this on a single website with minimal impact on each product to be among the most common installation dilemmas webmasters face with such products. And yes, that especially includes the incredibly capable and remarkably sophisticated vB3.0 because it will clearly be an industry leader for the next several years.

To actively censor the raising of such questions here would be tantamount to saying Jelsoft doesn't care about the installation issues its customers face. I really don't believe that's true! Do you?

I also tried to make it clear the changes required to vBulletin to make this integration work were virtually non-existent... involving just 3 new lines in login.php to convince it to call a single-purpose external routine that sets and resets the cookies of the other product.

I'm obviously looking for advice on how to proceed here and I'm firmly convinced there's no community in the world better equipped to offer advice and assistance on how to achieve my goals than the general community of vB users that exists on this site.

Furthermore, there are likely to be dozens if not hundreds of webmasters who may be interested in either obtaining and using this solution down the road or in mimicing the techniques I've used to integrate other applications with vBulletin. All I'm doing here is seeking the thoughts and suggestions of the general community on possible alternate ways to resolve to my dilemma.

Surely THAT is one of the primary goals and purposes of these forums!

Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions. That's all I'm really looking for here! Oh, and just for the record, I did also post this question on vBulleting.org! GMTA, Floris...
          Yes,

But you have altered one of the php files, so Jelsoft will deem this as hacking and I am sure you will be pointed in the direction of vbulletin.org by one of the vbulletin staff.

All floris is doing is stating Jelsoft's policy.

He isn't censoring any questions, all he is suggesting is carrying on the discussion in the appropriate place, anyone who is has a valid vbulletin licence has access to vbulletin.org, so it isn't as if no one will see your comments.

Maybe floris could have reworded his reply a little better.

Comment

Slight change of subject, but I would have appreciated a little warning about the content of the links above.
            vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Sigh... Okay. So, if Jelsoft has decreed they'd really rather not talk about one of their user's most common multi-application installation issues here, then I stand corrected. I'll go skulk in dark alleys and discuss our industry's dirtiest little secret there instead. Maybe I can find some wino there who'll have a good solution to offer.

Thanks for the feedback, Steve, Poolking and yes, even Floris too! I appreciate it.

To conqsoft, I can only offer an apology. You're right. It IS an adult site. I was just trying to give the experts the shortest possible direct route to see the problem without forcing them to go through the site's front door. The first link I provided took you to an unreleased links engine that presently has just one link installed and that link is to my own site. Yet, you could clearly see at a glance what the site was about. Did you find THAT offensive or was the fact that I did not warn you first the issue? In either case, I apologize. You're right. I should have provided a warning. I've done that now.

Thanks again guys. I really DO appreciate the feedback. I'll let you know what those guys in the 'dark alley' have to say!
              Last edited by websissy; Fri 30 Jan '04, 12:08pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X