Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to best structure levels of subscriptions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eiko
    replied
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• wential
    replied
    Originally posted by eiko
    so...
    I assume that means that;

a) I leave all my current subscribers in their correct usergroup
    b) when their subscription payment comes around (next one) their time period will be updated?
    c) if I get a sub payment failed, it will removed them from the usergroup?
    d) all I have to do is eliminate the current links to subscribe and redirect all new subscribers to the built-in version?
    In a perfect install, that is the way it should work. Some people have had some problems with it and had to perform some fine tuning. I would leave up the alternate method as a backup until you run a few of them through as a test first.

Leave a comment:

• eiko
    replied
    so...
    I assume that means that;

a) I leave all my current subscribers in their correct usergroup
    b) when their subscription payment comes around (next one) their time period will be updated?
    c) if I get a sub payment failed, it will removed them from the usergroup?
    d) all I have to do is eliminate the current links to subscribe and redirect all new subscribers to the built-in version?

Leave a comment:

• wential
    replied
    There really is no conversion necessary with PayPal. If you set up the IPN properly it integrates very well. Side Note: I am not promoting the use of Paypal here. See www.paypalsucks.com I will not trust them ever again.

As for reminders, they are part of your Scheduled Task Manager in the Admin CP. The email script is located in the \includes\cron\subscriptions.php file. The RC3 release includes 2 new payment systems (Authorize.net & Clickbank).

Leave a comment:

• eiko
    replied
    Originally posted by wential
    Getting people to pay for access to a Forum is not an easy task. Most will just go find a free Forum elsewhere.
    That's where your content vs the competition comes in
    I have been running my board very much like mentioned in this thread, I have three levels of membership, however even non-subscribing members can read/post in most of the forums.

To date, I have 700 subscribers combined (all levels), still, it only represents a small percentage of the membership.

One option to consider for paid members is ability to select a style that's ad-free. They appreciate that one.

Now, my question about the new built-in process is how the heck do I convert current susbcribers (paypal subscriptions) to the new built in version? That's a real issue for me to upgrade.

Also, is there (in paid subscriptions) reminders to members to renew prior to the end date?

Leave a comment:

• RobFerrari
    replied
    Exactly, it's very very risky. That's why I'm looking for advice. I basically don't want to take anything away from the FREE users so there's no reason to leave. However, there are plenty who are willing to play and give them something in return that won't put off the FREE users. It's a tough balance.

I have a solid revenue stream from banner ad sponsors and I don't want to lower their exposure. I'm just looking for another stream.

Leave a comment:

• wential
    replied
    Originally posted by RobFerrari
    Hmm, I thought this would be a popular thread.

Doesn't everyone want to make money from the hard work they've put into their communities?
    Getting people to pay for access to a Forum is not an easy task. Most will just go find a free Forum elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• katman
    replied
    I would love to make some cash but I can't even figure out how to use the subscription service in the ACP. I set one up for one of my forums but where do I enter my paypal info and how do members pay me if they don't even know the forum exists?

Leave a comment:

• RobFerrari
    replied
    Hmm, I thought this would be a popular thread.

Doesn't everyone want to make money from the hard work they've put into their communities?

Leave a comment:

• RobFerrari
    started a topic How to best structure levels of subscriptions?

How to best structure levels of subscriptions?

This is not from a technical vB how to perspective. I'm looking for a functional view from experiences what works best for creating levels of memberships/subscriptions.

From my experience I believe a 100% paid site won't work. I think some level of free membership needs to be available. The question is what permissions should be available at that free level and also the paid levels.

Let me outline my current plans and I appreciate some experienced feedback.

FREE
    - Read only access everywhere.
    - Post access everywhere.
    - No avatar, no profile, no PM's, no attachment post or view.
    - No tech support

$14.95
    - Avatars, profile, PM's, and full attachment functionality.
    - Personal tech support

$49.95
    - Personal tech support
    - Title label
    - Personal email address
    - T-shirt

Lifetime $199.95
    - Lifetime privileges
    - Personal tech support
    - Title label
    - Personal email address
    - T-shirt

Please let me know your feedback, ideas, and whether these are even feasible with vB. I think it's really important all the vB board admins discus this that are considering subscriptions, because at the balance is the risk of hurting our communities or taking them to the next level of being profitable.

Thanks,
    rob
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X