old pm's not deleting... please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old pm's not deleting... please help

hi, i don't think this is a bug with vb3, but rather a screwup in my old database... but i need some help with this one.

when i imported my old database, it messed up and only imported certain things. it DID import private messages, but unfortunately... it DIDN'T import my users.

so... i have a bunch of new users signing up, and for each new user, they find a cache of old pm's in their inbox that belong to whoever had their user id# on the old forum. this is going to keep happening right up through our 4000 and something registrations unless i can figure out how to kill them.

is there a mysql querie i can use to delete pms from before a certain date? this is a very sensitive issue, as there are some fairly private pms in there.

What do you mean by 'import'? What did you import from and how did you do this import?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

oh... i imported my old database into a new one.

Comment

There is no vB-to-vB import script. Can you please provide more details?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

before i upgraded the forums, i backed up my old database. i then upgraded but something messed up in the existing database during the upgrade, so i created a fresh database and used ssh to import the backup into the new database. it didn't work properly.

i'll be more than happy to provide you with phpmyadmin access.

(shoot... i need to upgrade my licence before midnight tonight! *writes himself note*)

Comment

What exactly do you mean by:

"i backed up my old database" - How did you do this?

"something messed up in the existing database" - What exactly happened?

"it didn't work properly" - Again what exactly happened?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

1. i backed up the databse using ssh. i've done it before (and since) with no issues. for some reason, the database was corrupted.
              2. when i upgraded, i had no old threads, posts or users.
              3. same thing as above. i had none of my old threads, posts or users. certain things did manage to stay in the database however, including attachments, private messages and forums.

i got rid of the attachments by storing them as files, then deleting them.

i just need to kill all private messages from before Dec. 24/03.

Comment

1. If the db backup is corrupted then the restore won't work. The first thing you need to do is repair that database and make a good backup of it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

i've already repaired the database. i think you've misunderstood my intentions. i no longer wish to restore anything. i've already had the new forum going since christmas. 375 people have already re-registered and i have over 8000 posts. it's too late to go back now.

what i need to do is delete the private messages in the database. i need to wipe out any private messages that are stuck in the database from before dec. 24, 2003. every time a new member registers, they get someone's old private messages. there has got to be a mysql querie to simply delete those private messages.

Comment

Yes I did misunderstand. Deleting PMs before a specific date would require a query. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what that query would be. It would have to involve both the pm and pmtext tables.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

know of any vbulletin mysql geeks? (i'm kidding on the geeks, hehe..)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X